INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
sitarman

Reply with quote  #1 
Why is it that jhalla is always (or is it?) done in teental? In other words, have you ever heard a fast jhalla conclusion to a raga in rupak, or dadra, or jhaptal? Certainly there are plenty of recordings of ragas that stay in those tals and end in them, but I never hear jhalla as a conclusion. I think the same could be said for alap- why has nobody done joralap and jhalla in a tal such as rupak? (I know joralap is not considered a "tal" but you can readily hear everyone adhering to groups of 8 or 16 beats). The stroke patterns utilizing a jhalla in those other tals would be very interesting- is it too "against tradition" to entertain this idea?
The Rover

Reply with quote  #2 
I know some of the Imdad Khanis play jhalla in ektal once in a while..to shake things up. Basically they play ektal drut and it keeps going. Sounds interesting, and though its not common, it is not surprising when it happens either. Ive got a recording somewhere of Sujat Khan playing Khamaj ektal jhalla.

As for alap, taal is not as much the issue, its rather the emphasis and grouping of notes. Ive listened to players that simply change groupings often, say a phrase in 4 then another in some other grouping. The lack of taal allows for this freedom.

Also, you can easily fit many teental phrases into other taals, The basics don't change, just the way you grab the mukra and design the ti-his.

Just my view.

Reply with quote  #3 
Hey Rover, Come to think about it further, I think it also relates to the fact that drut gats are always teental. You don't hear smoking fast rupak to conclude a raga- it would normally switch to a fast teental gat, so the fast jhalla would be in teental. I've played fast rupak, just for fun, and I'm surprised none of the younger, more progressivegeneration, masters have ventured into this.
rex@sitar.co.za

Reply with quote  #4 
I often play jhalla in Dadra with my tabla player friend when we practise... it sounds great, though is not traditional at all. There's no technical reason why jhalla couldn't be played in other taals, it's just a matter of convention.
Joshua Feinberg

Reply with quote  #5 
hey sitarman,

well, tintal is definitely the most common for jhalla, but ive heard it in other tals. ive heard jhalla in rupak, ektal, jhaptal, pancham sawari, matta tal, and rudratal. you'd be hardpressed to find a jhalla in dadra becuase that usually associated with lighter music, which doens't normally end in jhalla. Ali Akbar Khansahib does jhalla in other tals, and i have a great recording of Monilal Nag ending with a great jhalla in Ektal. seek and ye shall find!

as for the sticking to 4-8 or 16 beat grouping in jor, listen closely- Nikhil Banerjee doesn't really do that much. he may set it up as an outline, but he readily breaks it. i'm pretty sure other sitarists are the same way.

best,

jf

trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #6 
Good points all again

You can go into all kinds of related rythmns when you Jhalla in Teentaal as it's a great taal for that thunderous 'train' like effect when the tabla & sitarist get REALLY moving towards the finale.

Of course, other taala jhallas (try saying that 10 times quick) take a bit more experience even within 16 beats too. It all adds to the overall effect as the lead weavs in & out of the tabla.

I played an Ektaal jhalla in Gujri Todi (a-la Shahid Parvez' gat with Zakhir Hussain) with a tabla in Goa at xmas last year & it has a very nice effect. I kept the ektaal for the whole performance.

A simple jhalla for this would go
DA RARA DA RARA DA RARA DA RARA to match ektaal

In fact, now I think about it, ektaal jhalla can have a great effect because it's basically 'even beats' like teentaal.

Nick
barend

Reply with quote  #7 
Isn't dadra taal too short for a good jhalla???
if you play this taal in the speed that you play the normal teentaal jhalla the cycle is over in a second, or do you play it in half time?

Can someone maybe post some soundclips of this dadra or rupak jhalla, or some links?
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #8 
Friend Barend

Of course a Dadra taal jhalla wouldn't have the same effect as a teental but it has a particular urgency of its own.

I'll make a tiny MP3 of part of my performance to show what I did if you want to email me

trippymonkey@gmail.com

The jhalla I put on will work in 12/6 beats as it's 4 lots of 3 but only continuously.

Nick
barend

Reply with quote  #9 
Hi Nick,

I have tried some jhala in ektaal and that sounds really good, but jhala in dadra sound too hasty for me..
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.