INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
sitara86

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi everyone. Could someone please help me with the jhala technique. When you strike the chikari strings, are you supposed like clench your fingers a little? I don't know if I'm explaining it correctly, but, I'm trying to speed up my jhala, and I've noticed when my fingers aren't as loose, I can play faster. Hope someone can help me out. Thanks!

ps. Sorry if I can't articulate this eloquently.
JPyle

Reply with quote  #2 
Just noticed this question has not received a reply. In general, if you think of your four fingers acting together to produce each note you will produce a more solid note with greater accuracy and speed. Just like da ra da ra, close open, etc, the jhalla will be da ch ch ch with all four fingers more or less together but not tightly squeezed. Start out slowly and have your instructor watch your hand carefully for sloppy technique before you try to crank it up to warp speed, which will take a while! Others may have different insights and techniques vary, but this is the general approach. Good Luck!
fossesitar

Reply with quote  #3 
This one (jhala) really takes time and devotion if you are to get it right. IMHO, when you "TRY" to play jhala fast it sounds forced and tense and rushed, that is not what one should practice and ingrain by repitition. Not at all.

Get some video of Ustad Vilayat Khan doing jhala - the thunb rests comfortably but firmly on the neck, make sure your hand position and jhala technique closely matches his and is comfortable for YOU....... it is very solid but flexible with minimal movements.

To play fast, practice SLOW. Make sure your rythym is perfect, make sure you can execute all of the combinations and stay in precise rythym, use a metronome but only enough to verify precise rythymic execution.

Practice, practice, practice and practice more, but you are praticing precision, practicing ACCENTS (you should be able to accent any stroke or combination of strokes), get the rockin beat you hear from UVK and others but in slow motion. Eventually you will finnd a natural comfort level happening that allows or even encourages faster jhala......

UVK told me once, there is a certain pace for practicing jhala, if you practice at that pace it will then enable you to play at any speed with balance. I am still looking for that pace because like a complete dumb-ass I did not ask him what it was !!!
sitara86

Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks so much for the replies. I was just getting frustrated with the jhala because I sound so amateurish. Now I've been making sure I use all four fingers and I'm starting out slow again so I can master the technique. But it makes me feel better that practice, even slow practice, will take me somewhere.
povster

Reply with quote  #5 
sitara86, a while back there was a similar topic here. You may glean some tips from it as well.

http://forums.chandrakantha.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8936

Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #6 
Back in the glory days, Pt. Ravi Shankar was showing me jhalla mechanics. The mizrab nails the chikari strings in a kind of knee jerk reaction flinch move. That mizrab is set to the string at an angle so your inboard side of the mizrab contacts the string. You nudge, nudge, nudge the strings with the mizrab. Do not follow through like you would on a RA stroke on the MA string. Nudging with that flinch move on the chikari strings keeps that mizrab in position for the next hit. Works like a charm, especially at speed and this movement is very controlable.

Reply with quote  #7 
Thanks so much for this description Sitarfixer. That's exactly what I wanted to know. Whether I should follow through or not. The nudging definitely makes it sound better. Thanks!
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #8 
You're welcome ! Always glad to help.

Reply with quote  #9 
Hi,
It you would like to watch how Jhalla could/should be played, you could do worse that copying USPK. Please take a look at this video
. Even if you can follow his strokes, it might inspire you to practice.
sitara86

Reply with quote  #10 
Thank you for the video! I don't if it'll inspire me or make me want to give up . Thanks again though, it was beautiful to watch.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.