Author   Comment  
Joshua Feinberg

Reply with quote  #1 
Jawari Workshop
Portland, OR
October 24th 11am-2pm
$65/general admission
$50/Prepay (non-refundable)

I'm pleased to invite you to a workshop on instrument maintenance in NE Portland. The main focus of this workshop will be how to reshape the bridge or jawari of the sitar, tanpura, veena or sarod. A properly set up jawari is absolutely essential to these instruments. It is responsible for intonation, resonance and overall tone.

I received my training in jawari and sitar maintenance in Calcutta with Barun Roy, the son of Hiren Roy. During my time with him, Barun-da told me he believed jawari accounts for 60% of the tone of a sitar or tanpura.Through regular playing, the strings of a sitar or tanpura cut into the bridge, making it necessary to reshape it from time to time (depending on how much you play). If you're practicing 2 or more hours a day, you will need to do jawair every 4-8 weeks. This is an essential skill for anyone playing any instrument with a jawari outside of India.

We will discuss the theory of jawari and explore the practical applications- people will be doing jawari on their own instruments under my supervision. Attendees should bring their sitar or tanpura (or other instrument), a 10" 8" and 6" Mill Bastard File (they need to be flat on both sides), new strings, needle nose pliers with wire cutters, sand paper in grits of 120, 220, 320 and 400, a 3/4" chisel and a pencil. I will have some supplies, but I won't have enough for everyone. If you want to come but can't arrange for these items, please let me know ASAP.

Slots in this workshop are limited. If you'd like to attend, please sign up soon. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me and I'll do my best to help answer them. You can private message me with your email address and I'll send you the address for the workshop.

All the best,
Josh

Dspeck

Reply with quote  #2 
Too bad I can't hop over the ocean for a couple of days. But this reminds me that I have to locate a jawari teacher in Germany soon.
Neal

Reply with quote  #3 
Hi Josh,
I just picked up my sitar a few weeks ago after a two plus year hiatus. I was having a difficult time with meends in the upper register - it was really hard to maintain the tone - it just dies out and is really hard to maintain the note/tone throughout the pull. The lower and middle register is fine. Is this a jawari issue?
Neal
Joshua Feinberg

Reply with quote  #4 
Hi Neal,

Long time. How are you?

It could be a host of things. Did you change the strings? Old strings will zap the life out of the instrument. Instruments like to be played- if you haven't played yours in 2 years, you might have to put in a few weeks of solid riyaz for it to open up again.

Its also possible that a few years of Boston winters has dried out your sitar too much. Does it sound boomy, or just quiet?

Best,
Josh

Neal

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Joshua
Hi Neal,
Long time. How are you?
It could be a host of things. Did you change the strings? Old strings will zap the life out of the instrument. Instruments like to be played- if you haven't played yours in 2 years, you might have to put in a few weeks of solid riyaz for it to open up again.
Best,
Josh

No it sounds the same as always. No boominess, no quietness. If it were old strings would that not affect the lower and middle registers as well, I would guess? It's just when I meend in the upper register (above dha/ni - the note just dies out and it is really hard to maintain a solid fluid tone throughout the pull. Almost as if the string were lifting off the bridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Joshua
Its also possible that a few years of Boston winters has dried out your sitar too much. Does it sound boomy, or just quiet?
I keep it indoors in winter ;')
Joshua Feinberg

Reply with quote  #6 
Hi Neal,

Strings do strange things when they're old. Your ma string could have developed a tiny spot of rust under just the spot where it would contact the jawari in the high register. If you haven't touched your sitar in a few years, try restringing the whole instrument before you do anything else. A rusty string can actually spoil a good jawari.

Neal

Reply with quote  #7 
Will do. thanks.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.