INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
neela sangeeta

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi All,

I was just working on my jawari and really like the half-closed sound I achieved expect for an upper harmonic that pops out when playing the main string at Ga, Pa and Ni in the middle octave and the high Ga as well. I eliminated the possibility of it coming from tarabs or other strings. I am thinking it may be related to the evenness or smoothness of the jawari. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Neel
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #2 
Congrats on a great jawari ! It sounds like you've got a smooth solid bridge surface with unbroken glaze lines from the strings. This is ideal. Those harmonics are classic. Third, fifth and seventh. SA generates PA and in there is Ga. Ni is the fifth of GA and will be heard off the original SA hit only if you've got a good jawari. The taraf strings will pick up on these harmonics when tuned accordingly as they are supposed to do. Open strings on top will do the same, between the fingered fret position and the nut and even the clipped kharaj. I'm betting that a tap test on the tabli and neck will produce these same notes. Try detuning your baby a bit above or below your current SA. That should be just enough to deaden the hot vibes in the wood - that static pitch like your bathroom shower has. That must be all kinds of fun having a singing contest going on all over your sitar. Wheeeee ! ! !

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks as always Tony for your generous responses!!

"Unbroken Glaze lines" - I think that is something I am not achieving. There is not a solid glazed triangle but more like a bar graph - increasing towards the neck. Definitely the string is missing some spots. How does one get that even? I never seem to get that right.

Also my string keeps cutting a deep groove into the back centimeter or so of the bridge. Like after a days practice. This is way to soon. I am thinking that I sawed too steep an angle on the string slot and this is added increased tension at the back of the bridge. What do you think?

Best,
Neel
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #4 
File control is the key. What works for me is placing my thumb on the file over the bridge surface at this finishing stage and while working the file forward, draw the file to the side while keeping it aimed in the same direction and rolling it just a little bit down. Think " nice kitty kitty ". Prrrrr ! Prrrrr ! Without the stroked fur effect, faceting on the bridge will occur. That trench on the back sounds like a severe string angle but can't imagine it getting cut so fast. I tend to close the back bit on all my bridges just to allow a solid string seating on the bridge. The hot stuff on the leading portion will come. It's getting that footprint that really makes a clean sound, open closed or anywhere in between. I leave any references to the bridges canine ancestry up to you ! ! !
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.