INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
mike hooker

Reply with quote  #1 
i just did jawari on my practice sitar. its the first time i did a full one, i've done " touch ups" on good, but slightly worn jawari. my practice sitar was very buzzy, nasty. now its quite nice, but still a bit too open. at this point i think i should just play it and see when it settles. as it breaks in, do you think it will go more open or closed? also, ( the tricky part) , where would i file to close it up some? take it down in the middle to flatten it out a bit? take it down in the back, to get a little more tension on the surface? i put pencil marks under the Ma string, and could take a pic of the wear pattern if that would help. right now, its playable, fairly pleasant, but i'd like it more closed. i am afraid to try, and lose what i do have. ps- another clue; its sounds more closed as you go down the neck.

thanks
element-82

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi,
I think you have to change the curve on the top. Basically redo the jawari. I would start filing at the back and then blend the curve forward until you get the curve you want. It takes time. Typically closed jawaris, depending on how they are closed, open up over time. I would get a new jawari and experiment with that if you are afraid of losing what you have.

Pb
Quote:
Originally Posted by "mike
i just did jawari on my practice sitar. its the first time i did a full one, i've done " touch ups" on good, but slightly worn jawari. my practice sitar was very buzzy, nasty. now its quite nice, but still a bit too open. at this point i think i should just play it and see when it settles. as it breaks in, do you think it will go more open or closed? also, ( the tricky part) , where would i file to close it up some? take it down in the middle to flatten it out a bit? take it down in the back, to get a little more tension on the surface? i put pencil marks under the Ma string, and could take a pic of the wear pattern if that would help. right now, its playable, fairly pleasant, but i'd like it more closed. i am afraid to try, and lose what i do have. ps- another clue; its sounds more closed as you go down the neck.

thanks

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.