INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
dhruvsodha

Reply with quote  #1 
My jawari has been filed and 'closed' around 5 times since I've had my Sitar, so much that its almost depleted.
I'm going to India at the end of the month (luckily) and will need to look out to get a new jawari.
What confuses me is the different materials used for jawaris nowadays.

I've been using a normal bone-material jawari until now and have had no problems except for the maintenance required on it. Apparently it is illegal to use bone materials for jawaris now? But I know someone in Mumbai who has quite some stock of bone jawaris (if you'll recommend sticking to bone-material).

What I want to know is, are these newly used materials better in terms of maintenance and sound? And which material would you'll recommend? I really would hate to compromise on sound for the sake of maintenance though.

Ebony wood jawaris have been used for quite some time now but is there any maintenance required on those i.t.o of filing and reshaping now and then?

Please help
Much appreciated

Moving to the 2nd half of my topic.... A kind man, Pinakin Gore, had shared a link to his recordings from the Oct 2011, 5-day Delhi Classical Music Festival @ Kamani Auditorium.
http://www.mediafire.com/?t2cuer7975se0
http://www.mediafire.com/?hln62k8j4onno6a
There is a recording of Ustd Nishat Khan playing Jhinjhoti & Khamaj amongst other great artists.
Definitely worth a listen

I found the link via a blog where a Kovid Rathee gives reviews of performances that he attends. http://khayaliya.wordpress.com/
ragamala

Reply with quote  #2 
The links are so much appreciated, many thanks for that.
I admit that although I flagged the blog up elsewhere on the forum (re festivals) I hadn't kept up with it.

The music posts on mediafire are welcome, if, from what I've heard so far, technically flawed, but the blog has some spectacular photographs!

The Kalapini Komkali is especially good - can I suggest you make a post on the general or the vocal forums to bring this to wider attention?
dhruvsodha

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "ragamala"
can I suggest you make a post on the general or the vocal forums to bring this to wider attention?
Sure, will do so. I agree, the photos are amazing in terms of timing and quality. Can almost hear the artist performing through them.
fossesitar

Reply with quote  #4 
Delrin is the jawari material of choice these days, a high tech plastic with good wear resistance and its own lubricity. It also goes by the name Acetal Plastic I believe, it outlast bone jawaris by 3 or 4 to one, sound is quite acceptable. You can always have two entire bridges made if you have the money - one delrin and one bone.
dhruvsodha

Reply with quote  #5 
Is the sound with a delrin jawari as good as bone?
Or is there a bit of compromising that occurs in terms of tonal quality?
Thanks for ur reply.
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #6 
Delrin is the way to go. I've installed more than a dozen on sitars in the last six months. Vintage sitars from Hiren Roy, Hemen as well as lower end models ALL sound great with delrin bridges . It's all in the jawari. For a while I was even drilling corn rows of holes to simulate the marrow in deer horn in response to claims that delrin was kinda dead sounding. Absolutely unfounded ! ! ! With solid delrin blocks made into bridges with a good shape on the top surface, a warm rich sound is achieved . The bridge ( any bridge ) HAS to be set up properly. That includes surface shape, slots cut at proper depth and angle, leg contact to tabli and other little details. In India, the synthetic bridge material available is more along the lines of nylon, like what in used in model plane propellars. Sanjay ( Rikhi Ram of late ) uses the real delrin material, no doubt picked up from one of his USA trips. No one else has it in India as far as I know. I've got a nice supply of ready made delrin bridges, main and taraf available. These come in white or black and can be set up for you as you like in terms of jawari shape ( open to closed ) and number and arraingement of slots. Without the instrument in hand, I could only get you a " ballpark " jawari but it would be pretty close to drop in and play condition.

Reply with quote  #7 
Thanks so much for your reply. Your expert advice is always appreciated!
I will PM you in a bit about possibly shipping a Jawari down to SA. I unfortunately won't be able to get the sitar to you
Or wait, are you in India by any chance? (Sorry, just trying my luck) haha.

Derlin compared to ebony? Does Derlin out-do ebony in terms of tonal quality?
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #8 
PM Sent to you !

Reply with quote  #9 
awesome thanks for sharing the nishat khan links! Here is a vid I found on youtube that you guys might enjoy if you havent found it already:

nicneufeld

Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "anju831"
awesome thanks for sharing the nishat khan links! Here is a vid I found on youtube that you guys might enjoy if you havent found it already:

Thanks! You can definitely see (for that matter, hear) his father in him.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.