INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Dhani_

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi,

Does anyone know the theka of Jai Taal? I haven't been able to find any information on this taal, besides that it is in 13 matras. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If anyone knows any compositions in this taal, even, that would be great. I am attempting to compile a more or less comprehensive documentation of rare and unusual taals of Pakistan and North India, and need as much information as possible.

Also, please feel free to PM me if you know any other thekas of rare taals.(e.g. Chartal-ki-savari, Farodast, etc.)

Thanks!!
-----------------

Dhani
vilambit

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi,

The Jai Taal Theka in the sound clip below sounded to me like this:

धीं तिरकीट धीं ना तिं तिरकीट धीं ना कत्तिं धागेत्रक धींधींना धींधींना

Dhin tirakita dhin na tin tirakita dhin na kattin dhagetraka dhindhinna dhindhinna

http://www.filestube.com/f9W3zMmFFNO1eiPUGoWgBP/Jai-Taal-Maestro-s-Choice-Alla-Rakha-Zakir-Hussain.html

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Vilambit.
Dhani_

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks, Vilambit! This information can definitely be put to good use, and thanks a lot for the effort and contribution! However, I don't know if that's the theka... It has some elaborations that are not typically found in thekas or most prakars. From what I can make of your information, it sounds like it's divided 4|4|2|3(assuming that "traka" is played at double speed). My conceptualization of the theka was divided 4|3|2|4 and was played something like this:

Dha Ge Tin Na Dhin Dhin Na TiTeKiTe Dhun Na Ghi Na

This is probably incorrect; please let me know if there are any alternate divisions or bols for this taal.

Dhani
Ashis

Reply with quote  #4 
Pls Listen 2 Ustad Zakir Hussain Sahib's Jai Taal:

And 2: Sukhvinder Singh Namdhari 'Pinky'

Jay Ho!
Ahsis

Reply with quote  #5 
A Gurbani Shabad in Jai Taal

va4leo

Reply with quote  #6 
Taken from Taalabase
Quote:
Jai Taal

Beats 13
Taali 1-3-7-11-12
Khaali 5-9
Division 2-2-2-2-2-1-2

Dhin-TirakiTa-Dhin-Naa-S-TirakiTa-Dhin-Naa-Tin-Naa-Dhin-Dhin-Naa

Take a look here: https://www.swarganga.org/taalabase.php (you can sign in with a Facebook or Google Account.

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.