INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Bakersbites786

Reply with quote  #1 
http://www.directplasticsonline.co.uk/Acetal_Sheet.html
CarbonSitars

Reply with quote  #2 
Acetal, aka polyoxymethylene plastic, aka Delrin, is already in use by many makers as a bridge material. It's pretty tough stuff. Are you talking about constructing a bridge from this stuff, or using a sheet of it to slip under the strings in order to preserve your jawari? Lars from Rain City Music already sells small pieces of plastic for this purpose, but I'm not sure what it's made from. His work pretty good.
chrisnovice

Reply with quote  #3 
It says "acetal is currently unable to be bonded with any adhesives available at the moment" which I guess would make it difficult to use for bridge making?
Bakersbites786

Reply with quote  #4 
Sorry to be a little vague earlier.
Yes, I meant the top of the jawari which rests on the wooden legs. Is this the same stuff that Rikki ram and Barun Roy use these days? I got some delrin I think awhile back and found it was a little stringy when filed. Took a couple of piece to Pakistan and sher Mohammed's son Zia made me a jawari. the frets on that sitar has some sort of a chrome coating on it. The sound is kind of bright even on a closed jawari don't know wethers it's because of Delrin or the fret material.

Is there a big differences in Delrin and Acetal or they more or less same the same thing.
CarbonSitars

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "chrisnovice"
It says "acetal is currently unable to be bonded with any adhesives available at the moment" which I guess would make it difficult to use for bridge making?
This is true. Polyoxymethylenes have poor bonding qualities. I've always felt the use of Delrin as a bridge material to be a bit arbitrary, chosen only because of its toughness. There are other plastics out there with superior scratch resistance which work better for luthierie work. However, Delrin will bond well enough to the wooden feet of a sitar bridge that long-term adhesion is not really an issue. The bond is "good enough."

Delrin and acetal are the exact same thing. Delrin is merely a brand name.
Lars

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Bakersbites786"
Sorry to be a little vague earlier.
Yes, I meant the top of the jawari which rests on the wooden legs. Is this the same stuff that Rikki ram and Barun Roy use these days? I got some delrin I think awhile back and found it was a little stringy when filed. Took a couple of piece to Pakistan and sher Mohammed's son Zia made me a jawari. the frets on that sitar has some sort of a chrome coating on it. The sound is kind of bright even on a closed jawari don't know wethers it's because of Delrin or the fret material.

Is there a big differences in Delrin and Acetal or they more or less same the same thing.
Rikhiram uses nylon bridges or at least that's what I've seen on Sanjay's sitars. Similar density to Delrin only softer (and a lot cheaper), not my favorite. The density of Delrin and Nylon will make a brighter/thinner sound. Barun normally uses acrylic which is lighter and so you get more of an antler type sound, the bridges are quite brittle though but fine unless dropped. On occassion he'll use some other sort of fiberglass resin that he gets from Japan but haven't seen those in a long time. You have a source in the UK for acrylic, brand name is Perspex and its what they were using in India in a nice cream color. Harder to find it in 1/2 inch thickness though and it's not what I would consider 'cheap'. About $800 for a sheet of it here.

Lars

Reply with quote  #7 
God bless u Lars.
That probably explains the bright sound that I was trying to refer to. I'll check out that perplex company and see if it's any cheaper here. Keep u posted.
Thanks
CarbonSitars

Reply with quote  #8 
Polymethyl methacrylate, like polyoxymethylene, is manufactured under various names in the industry. Try searching for it as polymethyl methacrylate or PMMA. It might bring up some other suppliers. If you wanted to get fancy, you could obtain the resin form of PMMA, construct a mold, and cast your own pieces. The resin is cheaper, but obviously there are some extra steps involved.
musicslug

Reply with quote  #9 
for what it's worth, the topic of acetyl/delrin has been discussed quite a bit on this forum. I'm a big fan of the stuff, having played (for years) 2 vinas and a surbahar, all fitted with these materials after playing them for at least a year with their original antler bridges (not a big fan of modding something before you know what it's capable of). I can see why someone might characterize the sound as 'bright', but I think I'd use the term 'clear' (finer granulation perhaps?). in addition to that difference, I found the plastic bridges to be louder, which is huge for vinas, since they're so low volume. but the strongest selling point might be the longevity of jawari; once you get it right, you might never have to re-do it. I haven't had to touch the jawari on my vinas in at least five years, and I play about two hours a day.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.