INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
lostandlau

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi all,

Just wanting some opinions on this sitar, and whether it's worth my time to even go check it out. I'm thinking that it's probably junk because of the price and the way the langot is attached looks kind of strange... I just need others' opinions, and I'm sure I'll get them here. :wink:

http://montreal.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-guitars-SITAR-indienne-W0QQAdIdZ264221202#

Thanks in advance.
S.
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #2 
MMMMM??!?!?
Not too bad an instrument. Price is OK. Toomba is a bit small but so were Pt Ravi Shankar's toombas. It has a box too, I can see, under the sitar in the first pic.

Nick
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #3 
Yes ! Worth $240.00. Comes with a case. Needs a few strings replaced or a full set if you're up for it. Gourd is a tiny bit small but not enough to worry about. Pegs just need to be sanded a bit and they'll be fine. The tail piece looks like an afterthought at the shop where it was built. The wooden block is the classic design for three bone posts to hold all the strings. The brass bit is an afterthought and actually an up grade. Why the sheet metal screw to hold it down I'll never know ! ! ! Neck looks straight despite the wide angle camera lens setting. If you are a serious student of sitar, I'd pass. If you just want a sitar to noodle on for laughs or tack on to a fusion band arsenal, this would do nicely.

Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks for the input, Trippy Monkey and Sitarfixer. I'm probably going to pass on this one. I already have a decent student sitar appropriate for my current skill level and the only reason I would consider buying another is if I thought it was going to be a significant upgrade. I guess I was kind of hoping for a "diamond in the rough" situation here. From what I have gleaned from both your responses, the sitar in question is a good deal for the price, but not necessarily a good sitar in general...
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.