INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
njb43

Reply with quote  #1 
Hey everyone, I'm looking to buy my first sitar and this showed up on craigslist near me. I'm trying to figure out if it is worth the couple of hours travel for me to go and see it - do you think it is a real Rikhi Ram? What do you make of the bolt fastening on the neck? Would I just be better off spending (a whole lot) more and getting something new?

https://boston.craigslist.org/sob/msg/d/stoughton-sitar/7098479870.html

Thanks!
katyrow

Reply with quote  #2 
The screws and bracket at the neck joint mean that the joint is probably shot.

There are lots of knowledgeable people here who can point you in the right direction in buying an instrument.  It doesn't need to be new, but you should buy something that will stay in tune at a minimum. 

http://www.vintagesitars.com
barend

Reply with quote  #3 
The badge looks real. The pictures are too bad too judge the rest. But that bracket at the neck joint is a repair. Never seen that on a sitar. 300$ for a Rikhi Ram in good condition is too good to be true.
trippymonkey@gmail.com

Reply with quote  #4 
Although I DO agree with points here, I wouldn't necessarily say the neck join piece means the neck is 'shot' as it could well have been added when it was made for the very reason of having a stronger neck ?!?!!?
ThunderBass95

Reply with quote  #5 
I would strongly suggest you contact Keshav Das in Pamona NY (just north of Nanuet off the 287), Musicians Mall in Berkeley, CA or Rain City Music in Bonney Lake WA (Tacoma area). These dealers will set up the instrument for you so all you have to do is unpack it, tune it up and play it. Do not buy anything from the eBay sellers, they are mostly junk and right now with the corona virus, many of the shops in India are closed so you may have to wait for several months to get your instrument. I would not buy from Reverb either. Buying from craigslist is a major gamble, especially if you are new to sitar. There is much you need to know about the instrument. Best thing is to line up a local instructor as there a few in your area. Talk to them about buying a sitar and which style, Ravi Shankar or Villayat Khan they teach, and be prepared to spend $600-$700 for a beginner instrument. Sitar is a beautiful instrument that will give you many hours of enjoyment as you delve into the world of Indian classical music. It is an endeavour well worth the effort. Good luck. [thumb]
Lars

Reply with quote  #6 
There was a time where Rikhiram was putting braces on the joint, about 20-ish years ago. Probably done by them. Artist or student model....Polish is falling off which happens to most after time, $300 bucks is ok...grab it.

~Lars

Reply with quote  #7 

Yes, anything is possible, but before you drive a couple of hours to see it, it might be prudent to ask the seller how the neck joint is and why he listed for sale only a couple of weeks after buying on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RIKHI-RAM-TANPURA-SITAR-instrumental-tanpura-sitar-SORAD-/274288794615?hash=item3fdce2dbf7%3Ag%3AW%7EoAAOSwwz9eWDNO&nma=true&si=Yz8qBb%252F0Qx6VCbaorX%252FKhz7BQ8o%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Looks to be genuine and otherwise in good condition.  $300 would be a steal if we are wrong about the neck, which is entirely possible.  

Sage advice above from Barend and T-Bass.  

Lars

Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by katyrow

Yes, anything is possible, but before you drive a couple of hours to see it, it might be prudent to ask the seller how the neck joint is and why he listed for sale only a couple of weeks after buying on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RIKHI-RAM-TANPURA-SITAR-instrumental-tanpura-sitar-SORAD-/274288794615?hash=item3fdce2dbf7%3Ag%3AW%7EoAAOSwwz9eWDNO&nma=true&si=Yz8qBb%252F0Qx6VCbaorX%252FKhz7BQ8o%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Looks to be genuine and otherwise in good condition.  $300 would be a steal if we are wrong about the neck, which is entirely possible.  

Sage advice above from Barend and T-Bass.  

The ebay thing, that would be a red flag definitely!

Reply with quote  #9 
The Ebay photos show issues that are not shown in the Craigslist post. 

1) There is a crack in the back of the headstock at the Ma peg.  Might not be an issue, but could be a problem. Probably cracked from excessive force pushing the ma peg in. I have a similar crack in a Naskar I own, and it has not been an issue since being glued by Scott Hackleman.

2) The MOP along the fretboard is all wonky, and appears to be unglued all the way along. Just a cosmetic issue, but could suggest issues with how it was stored and temperatures it was kept in. 

3) The gourd is becoming detached from the gullu. Probably not a difficult thing to fix, but it is currently an issue.

$300 for a Rikhi Ram is surprising, but given the questionable state of the sitar, it might be fair. 
Nothing looks unfixable, but it will require some work.
If you feel up to the challenge, it might be a decent sitar afterward.
Could end up being a misery.

Personally,  I would look for another sitar that is already in good working order. 
Sitars are fragile and fiddly things, and require attention to keep in good playing condition. 
I wouldn't want to start my sitar experience with a possible lemon. 

njb43

Reply with quote  #10 
Thanks everyone! This is really helpful indeed!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.