INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Zardoz

Reply with quote  #1 
I've come across this Naskar for $600. I know little is sitar a and have always wanted to give it a go.
Comes with loads of accessories and a case. Seller says he got it from his teacher and that it is 65 years old.
Looks to me like it is missing a fret.

katyrow

Reply with quote  #2 
Can you post a close up photo of the badge?
Zardoz

Reply with quote  #3 
Here it is.
Zardoz

Reply with quote  #4 
The seller also says the tumba is larger than current day tumbas making it a deeper tone. No cracks in the tumba although he says a restoration of the sitar would be a good idea even though it is perfectly playable. Comes with everything, extra strings, beads, tool for pegs, swan, coconut oil, books and dvd, etc. Kept in a humidified room.
I'm curious as to whether or not it might be teak fingerboard as well and if this would make for a good starter instrument at the least.
pcc

Reply with quote  #5 
It's not missing a fret. That's the way sitars are...
Zardoz

Reply with quote  #6 
I wondered seeing as there are 18 frets on this instrument where as most images I've seen of sitars show 19 or 20 frets.
chrisnovice

Reply with quote  #7 
There's something strange about the meru (nut) and tar gahan (the string spacer above the meru). It looks as though they've both been moved north for some reason, leaving that funny looking black filler to cover cover up the job. That would surely affect the intonation. Look at any other sitar and you won't see such a large gap between nut and first fret. And I'm very sceptical about it being 65 years old. There are plenty of experts here who could advise you further I'm sure. So I'd say treat this one with caution and at the very least try it out before you make any offer.
Zardoz

Reply with quote  #8 
I also noticed this about the nut...seems like the badge would be surrounded by the two nuts but both are farther up the neck creating this huge gap to the first fret. I have never played before (although played flamenco guitar for years and know a little something about a little something). I'll be asking the seller questions about this for sure but testing intonation may be hard not knowing what I should be listening for and how to test that.
Zardoz

Reply with quote  #9 
Thanks for all advice. I just saw it and it was obvious immediately there would be substantial restoring needed. Nuts out of place, frets very worn, weird layers of varnish on the rumba, bridges bolstered on improvised pieces of wood...all sorts of oddities. The sound seemed to be quite good but many strings were totally slackened so hard to say how the sympathetically would sound. The seller immediate offered to come to $500. But who wants to buy a car that needs to be repaired in order to run from the get go. I'm passing on this one and will fair better for doing so.
naad_brahma

Reply with quote  #10 
To be honest, it looks like a train wreck. The bridge feet look painfully low which hints towards a neck that is pitched inward. This may explain some of the hack-job fret/nut modifications. Naskar sitars can be hit or miss, some are great and some are duds. This one probably is more toward the later of the two. Save your money for something nice. Old sitars show up quite often now that we have craigslist at our disposal. Buying this one for such a cheap price sounds sweet but you may have well over 1k of repair work needed to get it up to spec.
nicneufeld

Reply with quote  #11 
Looks like you are essentially missing the first fret (at least), due to that strange design (or modification?) where the nut is actually on the other side of the maker badge. If it were significantly less in cost (couple hundred? less?) it might be a fun gamble for an experienced player who wanted to tinker with but for someone looking for a starter instrument, I'd pass...for the same price range you can get decent new instruments, without the missing frets and atypical nut layout.

However, it may be a very nice instrument (and the original user may have adapted his technique for the missing frets), it just seems like it would be a relatively high risk to get a "money pit". A 65 year old instrument, too...that's going to take some serious TLC to keep it in proper working order I'd think.
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #12 
YEP ! Pass on this one. The zone between the nut and fret 2 is wacked. What a shame. That low main bridge is a deal breaker as well. The neck will have bowed up from string tension and a mozarella neck joint. Compensation for string height by lowering the main bridge to the point of submersion is evident. I'd buy it for parts which I always need.

Reply with quote  #13 
agreed-you want a healthy instrument-not a buncha firewood that needs quadruple bypass surgery. keep lookin-there's a sitarbox out there with yer name on it. i landed a deal on a top-shelf rikhi ram for $1100.00. and you couldn't pull her out of my cold, dead hands.
-the doc
cwroyds

Reply with quote  #14 
What is up with that headstock/Nut…
I have been looking at that for a while and I don't get it.
Very strange.
This one is a pass.
Run away from it with speed.

Naskar did make some awesome sitar though, but were are hit and miss.
They are alway nicely made, but some just aint got "it".
I have a beautiful one with amazing carving on the tabli, but the sound was never much to brag about.

I have seen some beautiful old ones that rival Kanai Lal in quality of carving.
This old Surbahar is gorgeous.
http://www.karaseksound.com/ShowDetails.php?ID=IMG0159
I thought this one was rather pretty too.
http://www.karaseksound.com/ShowDetails.php?ID=IMG0192
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.