INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Amerikon

Reply with quote  #1 
...to visit the Rikhi Ram shop?

I'm going to be in Delhi next week and I noticed that the hotel I'm staying in is very close to Connaught Circus. Would it be worth the short trip to check out the Rikhi Ram shop?

I'm not really in the market for a new instrument but if I could get a good deal I'd probably pick something up. How do the prices in India compare to what we see from shops in the States? Also, is Rikhi Ram still a quality label or are their standards slipping?

Thanks guys.

Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #2 
Well worth the time. You may have to drop in there just to duck the wave of beggars, vendors, tour guides and all the others that would spoil your time in Delhi. Enough goodies are on display to check out. "Pick" up some mizrabs, strings or other little goodies while there. As far as quality comparison, you should decide for yourself. For a real adventure, take a Ric to Darya Gang in the old part of the city. At the far end will be Red Fort and the Jamma Masjid, both worth a visit and on the bordering street of the oversize mosque is Delhi Musical Stores. Front and center street is Nai Sarak with a dozen or so music shops. You'll need to hire a pedal ric to get you through the mess. DOOOO KNOTT pay more than 10 roops ! ! ! Back on the main street at the pedestrian overpass is a branch of Kartar Music house, Bhargava, Biba Music Emporiom (my first choice for instrument drooling) and others. Watch your back at all times and be certain to keep a hand on your wallet. Enjoy your trip ! ! !

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks man, lots of info there!

If I could only go to a few of the places you mentioned which would be the best? The Biba Music Emporium? DMS?

Lars

Reply with quote  #4 
Is that JUSTIN BIBA? OMG I'll have to check that out next time!!

Lars :wink:

Reply with quote  #5 
Re BIBA in Darya Ganj just outside Connaught Circle.
Fascinating area as they seem less geared for tourists & have some incredible really old instruments, none for sale though. I managed to get some pics before they stopped allowing them. Will search & upload.
There are several interesting shops down that area. 8)

Nick
Lars

Reply with quote  #6 
Ok I'll be serious now since no one knows who Justin BIBA is apparently.
There are 2 RikhiRams, the other one is in Gol Market a click or two from the original store. Both have the same sources for their instruments from what I can tell.... They are good fitters, get only the professional top of the line models if any available and bring lots of money. Make sure and check the case for hardware screws that are about 1/4 too long, they'll be there and insist that it be fixed before purchasing.
Other instruments/Daryaganj, etc.
Take an auto to gate #3 at Jama Masjid, DMS is there although probably best to call and make sure Inni will be there which can be a challenge.
This is if you want to buy and instrument, the others places ok for small stuff like Tony had mentioned.
When you're at DMS a cool thing to do is take a cycle rickshaw and take a tour of the old city, the wedding market, etc. It's a real experience and here's a funny story about that....
I hired a cycle rickshaw from DMS for a tour of the old city, the driver didn't speak English too well and would just blurt out names of "this is where so and so died, etc" and he was literally shoving people aside and being extremely aggressive which I didn't care for as he was pushing women, etc. So I calmly leaned forward and told him he was being a real *sshole and I didn't appreciate it. He didn't understand and said "NO NO, I am a (insert name of his particular religion which I won't mention)" Had to be there I guess but it was funny.
Anyway, I suggest doing that little side trip, will take 2 hours maybe and you'll enjoy it very much especially the fake flowers hanging everywhere in the wedding market.

Have fun, don't drink the water....

Lars
Rain City Music

Reply with quote  #7 
LOL LOL LOL
Lars.. Isn't India the most FANTASTIC place to visit. I just love it with a passion!!!!!

Watch out for more Exciting Adventures Of Super.. oh sorry.. Trippy Monkey, from the second week of January up to the first week of April next year!!!

Nick
Amerikon

Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
They are good fitters, get only the professional top of the line models if any available and bring lots of money.
So what exactly does "lots of money" mean? $500? $2000?

Also, I assume they're going to ask for more than I should pay. What's the typical "haggle zone" (asking price vs selling price)?

Ten for that? You must be mad!

Lars

Reply with quote  #9 
It depends on the type of sitar you want, $600 up to almost $2000 I think at Sanjay's assuming he has it in stock and I'm sure Ajay is right about the same as they are in competition with each other. I don't think bargaining is the norm there but maybe, I stopped carrying them a long time ago. Case is extra ..... check the cases for screws that are 1/4 inch too long on the hardware, you'll find them. Great cases though but better if you bring your own rivets.

DMS I'm not sure, depends on what he has but Inni's a no BS guy and won't rip you off.

If you want to haggle and get a cheapo sitar try the other shops I think in Daryaganj, you could also try Raj Musical I think they're in Karol Bagh, down the road from Pahar Ganj. Or maybe visit Harichand and see what he has laying around but please don't bargain with him, he's a really nice guy and quite old now and will treat you with respect. He has one or two around usually, he fits Calcutta bodies like everyone else in Delhi mentioned here. I can't tell you the address but if you want to visit I can give you exact directions in PM to his shop, it's about 15 minutes via cycle rickshaw from Paharganj center. If you go please say Hello from me and tell him I'll stop by in April.

Have fun!!

Lars
Rain City Music

Reply with quote  #10 
re: DMS
guys-i really gotta chime in here. a while back, i had tried to do a deal with inni for a taus. at first, he responded to emails promptly-and then he dropped of the face of the earth. i TOLD him, in no uncertain terms, that i had only a limited amount of time to use my scrawny resources for a luxury like a taus and he said he understood. when he FINALLY surfaced again-literally WEEKS later- he gave me some bullshit story about all of his emails ending up in the trash or some such crap. in my final message i told him that if i didn't hear from him in 24 hours, that the deal was dead. i never received a reply. i'll stay away from this fool-maybe you should too.
-the doc :x :x :x
OM GUY

Reply with quote  #11 
Well, computers do fail....viruses happen, people do lose control over their computers all the time....I just had a computer 'whiz of a guy', update his computer from Windows 'Whatever' to the latest version/upgrade and it zapped all of his emails, plus over 35% of his data.

I hate to play Dr. Laura here, but from what you said, the fella seemed mellow and genuine, then stuff went on his end.

Are you sure you aren't just being a tad bit..... "premature on judgement"?

Luv... :roll:
Dr. OM GUY

Reply with quote  #12 
premature on judgement my ass! this entire ridiculous episode took place over MONTHS-he was there-then he wasn't. three or four doses of that would piss anyone off and it sure hit MY button. it rankles my BUTTIMOOSE when someone says they're going to do something and then they REPEATEDLY fall on their face due to their unprofessionalism and inability to keep their computer gear in working order.
this guy is an ass-dragger of the highest order. tons of promises, no results. sure he has some wonderful stuff up on his site-but the distance between a damn pic AND a successful deal are LIGHT YEARS apart.
-the doc :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
privatelabel

Reply with quote  #13 
I had a pretty good experience w/ Inni. My dad got in touch with him on the phone at DMS without any problems and Inni had our shipment prepared for pickup at DMS as discussed. Just my 2 cents.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.