Author   Comment   Page 6 of 6     «   Prev   3   4   5   6
ragamala

Reply with quote  #76 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Aanaddha"
Quote:
Originally Posted by "daz199"
sex
Again I ask, why the dire insistence on cheap three-letter euphemisms? Are we not musicians; artists if you will - not unrelated to poets with more regard for words and the possibilities of language as well as music ?
Please,
'Love-making; subtle and overwhelming, comical, refined and primal, clear and contradictory, gratifying and painful .....
Oh - I'd thought Daz was correcting (and adding a light touch) to my mistyped "siz" for "six" in my earlier post... which might have fitted into one aspect that I and you, dear Aanaddha, linked into , in which case this play on words/spellings might not be out of place?
povster

Reply with quote  #77 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Aanaddha"
Quote:
Originally Posted by "daz199"
sex
Again I ask, why the dire insistence on cheap three-letter euphemisms? Are we not musicians; artists if you will - not unrelated to poets with more regard for words and the possibilities of language as well as music ?
Please,
'Love-making; subtle and overwhelming, comical, refined and primal, clear and contradictory, gratifying and painful .....
I do not get it. A euphemism is a word that is mild in nature that is used as a substitute for a harsh or offensive word.

I do not consider myself a musician, although I HAVE improved considerably over the last year now that my left hand allows more freedom. I have tremendous respect for words and language. Since "fun" is a three letter word I will assume, unless I am informed to the contrary, that "three letter euphemism" also applies to my use of the word "fun".

Now I will be blunt. I chose "fun" intentionally. I could have used "pleasure" but that is different in meaning than "fun". I could have used "enjoyment", "delight" or similar words. But I intentionally chose the word "fun" because, while not irreverent, the word does not speak to a "higher calling". There are times when I am sick to death of the "higher calling". It can, at times, feel like walking into someone's home that looks and feels like a museum, where you are afraid to touch anything or sit on a piece of furniture. Where it feels you must walk carefully and speak in hushed tones. Or are even afraid to cough for fear of breaking the somberness.

But especially because I CAN derive genuine "fun" from ICM. Does that mean I do not derive pain, ecstacy, insight, awareness and any number of multi-syllabic words that are seemingly deeper, more insightful, than "fun? No, it does not. But it also means I sometimes get the giggles just being involved in this music. That at times it is truly FUN to be involved in this music.

Aanaddha

Reply with quote  #78 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "povster"

I do not get it. A euphemism is a word that is mild in nature that is used as a substitute for a harsh or offensive word.
Euphamisms of a sort. I could have written 'dysphemism' but I didn't think anyone would get it. 'Slang' would probably have been a better choice given the current level of sophistication.
But, to each their own. And on the other side of the ticket their are those, myself, who are thankful this is a 'forum'. It appears I may have mistakenly supposed that stood for something with slightly 'higher' standards than a teenage 'chat-room'. :?

Reply with quote  #79 
Getting away from cacophemisms, and to help "lighten" the mood, my last offering here.....

http://www.trulliland.co.uk/private/100colours.jpg
Aanaddha

Reply with quote  #80 
I've been thinking... honestly, my opinions do change.
Sometimes it takes years and sometimes it only takes a few minutes. Part of being human, hopefully.
Maybe Povster has a point ... ICM is fun - period.
But it's sooo hard to leave it there. To borrow a phrase from F. Gump, "... like a box of chocolates'.
Can't eat just one, gotta have more.
Maybe that's just me.

My excuse: Pres. G. Bush on TV and radio; trying to understand what someone has texted me; yeah, and I'm getting old and deaf and impatient with people who relate as if everything in life can be contained in the length of a video clip.

Sorry, Pov didn't mean to take it out on you. ops:

Reply with quote  #81 
Thanks Anaddha. That is most thoughtful and very appreciated. I know it is difficult to leave it at just fun. We know each other and we both, I believe, have respect for each other's pursuit of music. And we both know the wide range of feelings and insights this music can bring. But I have to say (uh oh...just kidding) this turned into a very different discussion than I anticipated and a most interesting one! Peace.
BWV

Reply with quote  #82 
Of course JS Bach himself said, "The aim and final reason . . . of all music . . . should be none else but the Glory of God and the recreation of the mind"

or to generalize there is both a recreational and spiritual aspect
martin spaink

Reply with quote  #83 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "BWV"
Of course JS Bach himself said, "The aim and final reason . . . of all music . . . should be none else but the Glory of God and the recreation of the mind"

or to generalize there is both a recreational and spiritual aspect

Gutentag Herr Verzeichnis, I already wondered at this BWV I noticed earlier, so there's more folks around who seriously enjoy both ICM and Bach! In view of the above, do you know how to translate ' gemuhtsergotzung '
which papa Bach used elsewhere? (sorry no umlauts on u&o on this keyboard)
SDG, martin
martin spaink

Reply with quote  #84 
Getting away from cacophemisms, and to help "lighten" the mood, my last offering here..... quote]
Nice one Ragamala, you're only short of 93 other colors from your 'sau range' ! :wink:
BWV

Reply with quote  #85 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "martin
In view of the above, do you know how to translate ' gemuhtsergotzung '
which papa Bach used elsewhere? (sorry no umlauts on u&o on this keyboard)
SDG, martin

No, but I am just another bildungsphilister
ragamala

Reply with quote  #86 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "martin
Quote:
Originally Posted by "ragamala"
Getting away from cacophemisms, and to help "lighten" the mood, my last offering here..... quote]
Nice one Ragamala, you're only short of 93 other colors from your 'sau range' ! :wink:
Thanks - Ah but you're neglecting the microshades maybe? - the full 100 are there to the trained eye
Plus of course the unseen.

But sadly no crock of gold in sarangi.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.