INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Anonymous

Reply with quote  #1 
Greetings,
I'm new to the forums (sad to see all the old posts go) and I wanted to introduce myself. The info on forum members is sketchy, so I'm also encouraging other forum members to post a little about themselves. I'm curious, I guess....

I'm a professional tabla player based in Toronto, Canada. I initially studied with Ritesh Das here in Toronto, and have also studied with Swapan Chaudhuri at the Ali Akbar College, as well as in a number of workshops.
I am currently studying with Anindo Chatterjee, as well as with Subhajyoti Guha when he's in Toronto, and with mrdangam master Trichy Sankaran -translating mrdangam repertoire onto tabla. I did a similar project with Karaikudi Mani in Chennai, and I've also studied a little bit of nattuvangam.

I regularly perform with 'autorickshaw', an ensemble I co-direct with Sankaran's daughter, Suba.

The repertoire is a mix of north and south Indian classical compositions, jazz repertoire and original 'Indo-jazz' material. The instrumentation is voice, bass, tabla, percussion and sometimes piano.

Our second CD was nominated for a world music JUNO award in Canada last year, and we tour and perform regularly, most recently in NYC and Washington DC.

You can sample a tabla solo here:
http://cdbaby.com/mp3lofi/autorickshaw-08.m3u
The rest of the album is here (w solos on Saraswati and Chennai Five-0)
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/autorickshaw
and our website is here:
http://www.autorickshaw.ca

Thanks for reading, and hope to meet you all in the forums!
Ed
Shawn

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi Ed,

Welcome Remember me? Congrats on the Juno nomination, that's really great!

For everyone else, I am a professional tabla player, based in Montreal (Canada). Disciple of Pandit Sharda Sahai of the Benares gharana. I play often with the Indian-folk group Galitcha, as well as in tabla solo and instrumental accompaniment (sitar, bansuri, etc.). I have recently formed a tabla class/ensemble at McGill University.

I am also a Western classically trained percussionist, and I teach and perform a wide range of percussion. I mainly perform freelance, and with the contemporary/new music quintet, Quintette Mont-Royal, as well as composing and performing music for dance and theatre.

For more, please feel free to visit my website at http://www.percussionist.net.

Best regards,

Shawn

http://www.facebook.com/tablamontreal
Aanaddha

Reply with quote  #3 
Greetings,
I'm new to the forums (sad to see all the old posts go) and I wanted to introduce myself. The info on forum members is sketchy, so I'm also encouraging other forum members to post a little about themselves. I'm curious, I guess....

Hi. Ed,
Welcome to the Forum! I like your ID - wish I would have thought of that one...
Not everyone here are professionals or even semi-professionals. Most of us are students, beginners, and will probably remain so for a while yet.
There are likely many very good players here who have never had a gig. Still there is much enthusiasm and plenty of opinions.
Some of us are hesitant to name our gurus or ustads publicly for many reasons; for one, no one wants his or her opinions or knowledge mistaken for the of his teacher. Another reason may be that quite a few of us don't have a formal relationship in the traditional sense with our teachers. A number of forum members do not even have the luxury of living within geographical location where there are teachers. Some forum members may never even have met another tabla player outside of this forum. And, there are those like myself who feel they can participate more easily and be more helpful by also remaining relatively anonymous.
So, I hope that you don't associate our sketchy backgrounds with a lack of knowledge, enthusiasm, commitment or a level of dilettante-ism. Mostly we all try to help one another.

It's great that you have such a wide background - I'd be curious about the pitfalls and benefits of learning two instruments at the same time - tabla and mrdangam - and especially how the particular repertoire is translated? I'm especially looking forward to your advice. especially to those who are just starting to learn.
Hope to see you around here a lot!

Sincerely,
Aanaddha

Reply with quote  #4 
I am Canadian also, but currently based in Seattle. I've been playing tabla for about 6 years, learning in the Delhi Gharana. I spent some time studying in India and will most likely have the opportunity to go back later this year.

Glad you are on the forum Ed-I've had your CDs for some time now and would recommend Autorickshaw to anybody. Great stuff-you guys seemlessly mix the North and South + the jazz. I like the track "Ikat" so much I learned the first Gat and got my teacher to give me the kayda you play after that.

Is Autorickshaw playing on the west coast anytime this year? I have yet to see you guys play live.

TukKranDha
Chando

Reply with quote  #5 
Hello ,
I guess I should Have Started with a peshkar because you all are so experienced and rarely understand amateur language of mine.
I am a student of the farrukabad gharana.
Learning started at the age of 13.
Experience of 1 years {SOLID}
I am very eager to meet other experienced performers specially Anaadha as she(I guess) :?: is all over the place and definitely has some Gyan could you please convey this to her i would be overwhelmed .
Eagerly waiting to meet many like you and you of course dear Tala-wallah.
Yours Faithfully,
Abhishek :roll:

Reply with quote  #6 
Aanaaddha,

I believe it would appropriate for us to refer to you as "Gyan Babu!"

ST
Aanaddha

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "SurTaal"
Aanaaddha,

I believe it would appropriate for us to refer to you as "Gyan Babu!"

ST

Why?? Pandit Gyan Prakash Gosh was a giant of Indian music and my hero.
I am but an nameless insect by comparison.

By the way, I've been meaning to ask, is anyone familiar with Gyan Babu's book "Tahzib E Mousiki" ? It's in Bengali, but I've only ever seen one copy of it.

A.

Reply with quote  #8 
Respected Gyan Babu ,
I guess :? I am familiar with the book and could give you the PUBLISHERS address and phone number.

BAULMON PRAKASHON
28 BALIGUNGE GARDENS
CALCUTTA 28

Phone-24610752

I guess :? the cost is 80 rupees ,they can tell you where you may get it and thats perhaps all i know regarding this issue.

You deserve the title keeping in mind all the helpful info you provide us.
Signing off,
Abhi

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.