INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
barend

Reply with quote  #1 
as stated in my other post I have recently raised the nut of my sitar.
But now the intonation of the low frets of the low Pa string and especially the Kharaj is not so good anymore. If I play on the Shudha Ga fret from the Kharaj it is almost sounding as a Ma.

Can I get the intonation better (lower) by filing the string groove on the nut more deep?
this is tricky because I don't want the rattle again by making the groove too deep. That was the reason for raising the nut in the first place. But maybe the string is too high from the frets resulting in a higher intonation? don't if that is logical.
element-82

Reply with quote  #2 
I think you were lucky to have it intonated properly at first I think it is very common on sitars that the big strings are not intonated properly. I have the same problem with my surbahar. I fixed it with a little block something like nikhil B used, attached to the nut (see pic http://lh3.google.com/paulbarrette/R3ewooD5twI/AAAAAAAAALo/u3m0ZTpHBYA/s144/DSC_0835.JPG). The idea is that you want to shorten the karaj and laraj string so that you can take tension off them. So, they have less tension so they aren't as sharp. It is no easy task, you have to "trial and error" the size of the block. Tonyk has done this a number of sitars.

Pb
Quote:
Originally Posted by "barend"
as stated in my other post I have recently raised the nut of my sitar.
But now the intonation of the low frets of the low Pa string and especially the Kharaj is not so good anymore. If I play on the Shudha Ga fret from the Kharaj it is almost sounding as a Ma.

Can I get the intonation better (lower) by filing the string groove on the nut more deep?
this is tricky because I don't want the rattle again by making the groove too deep. That was the reason for raising the nut in the first place. But maybe the string is too high from the frets resulting in a higher intonation? don't if that is logical.

barend

Reply with quote  #3 
thanks, that block is definitely worth trying. I saw that block before. What material do you use for it?.
Are there some better pictures somewhere so I can look at it more closely?

and what if you don't use the block..is filing in a deeper groove a solution? Because the intonation was pretty good before I raised the nut.
I also did some adjustments with the jawari placing, I have placed it more away from the neck. Maybe that also affects the Kharaj and low Pa (?).
povster

Reply with quote  #4 
Basicall my take is this.

If the open kharaj or pancham are in tune but the fretted pitches are too high - then lower the notch in the nut. BUT - you must keep a consatnt check ont he open string vs the fretted pitch. Which means a wee bit of lowering then restring and check the open string pitch and the fretted pitch.

If the pitch is too low, then the string(s) need to be raised. The block works here. Basically work the block as you would work the notch in the nut.

Gradually lower the herght but constantly check the open and the fretted pitched for the pancham and kharaj.

barend

Reply with quote  #5 
Hi Povster,

that what I suspected, but I wanted to be sure.
So my pitch is to high and therefore I have to make a deeper groove.

I am still tempted to try to make a block. Not sure about what material to use for it though.
element-82

Reply with quote  #6 
Barend,
I used black delrin, because I had some lying around. You can use corian, fiberglass, bone, ebony basically anything you would use for jawari. I can give you better pics, but look at tonyK's site in the custom shop section. That is where I got the detailed views from.

Pov,
good advice about lowering the slot. I have to do that too My laraj and karaj are right at the top, I may not need the block at all, but it was a good exercise making one. I figured the block was easily reversable, but the deeper slot is not.

Pb

Quote:
Originally Posted by "barend"
Hi Povster,

that what I suspected, but I wanted to be sure.
So my pitch is to high and therefore I have to make a deeper groove.

I am still tempted to try to make a block. Not sure about what material to use for it though.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.