INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
assingh

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello Friends,

I was reading these interviews and thought of sharing them here.

Pt. Kumar Bose:

How did the training change after the age of twelve?

Well, it was always strict. When I played wrongly my father sometimes beat me up. Once I was supposed to play a tabla solo at our school function. My mother encouraged me very much. So, I started practicing in front of my father. When I played wrong Bol-Bani, he became furious and beat me up with his belt. He wrote down the correct kaydas, paltas, relas and tukdas line by line and gave me a tight schedule for practice up to 6 o’clock. He even tied my leg with a chain to the window and told me to keep practicing in front of the tabla until the concert.

http://www.tablapassion.com/interview.html
pbercker

Reply with quote  #2 
Interesting interviews. my favorite might well be Shankar Ghosh ...

We've all heard about the rigorous demands of practice ....
Quote:
Even now, practice is important. There is a concept of Chilla. It means you go to the temple, mosque or gurudwara and you promise that you will practice for so many hours a day. It is thought that if you break your promise you will not achieve the artistic standards that you aspire towards. I vowed to do 14 hours practice everyday in two shifts of seven hours each, for 3 months in a row. And I did this on three occasions. These intense periods of practice were done every two or three years.

But the added note of candor is nice ...
Quote:
During those 7 hours, I might not have played continuously but I was not allowed to walk away from my tabla.
Moreover there's a bit of good news on how many hours of practice are "really" required ...
Quote:
Now, I don’t believe that this many hours of physical practice is needed. Physical practice is not really needed for more than four hours and that maybe in two sessions.
Well, that's the silver lining, but here comes the cloud ...
Quote:
But what we need is 8 hours of reciting with hand claps and this helps you to build the sense of taal and laya. There is no other means other than reciting to get the cycle of tala imprinted in your heart. That is very important. But physical practice is less important.
... good grief! Out of the frying pan ... and into the fire with that one!

Asked about the gharana system, Pts. Kumar Bose and Swapan Chaudhuri give "nuanced" answers, but Pt. Shankar Ghosh cuts to the chase ....
Quote:
I don’t believe that the gharana system is relevant today.
While this is true with regards to tabla technique which has largely become more or less homogenized, he does note that gharanas have certainly left their imprints on compositions, but that is no bar from experimenting:
Quote:
No art form is static. If you make it static by calling it a gharana, you cannot do justice to the art. If I continue to play the compositions in a fixed way year-after-year and then play some of the strokes different what is the harm in that? Whatever changes I have made I try to do it logically.
What I like about Shankar Ghosh that comes through in the interview is a certain straightforward pragmatic approach, typified in his answer to the question about spiritual connections, if any, to tabla: are there any?
Quote:
Not really. I am not religious minded nor have a 100% belief in God.

There's much more, but for me these were the highlights.

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
assingh

Reply with quote  #3 
Hello,

I think it depends on your goals for tabla learning. If you are learning it as hobby then that many hours of training maybe overkill.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.