INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
gatabera

Reply with quote  #1 
tablafreak

Reply with quote  #2 
Very nice but did anyone catch his comment at 1:52 to 2:36?

What the hell is he smoking? I havent listened to any Ustad who has played "the same phrase, in the same way, 50,000 times in a 5 hour concert".

Also, Each Ustad/Pandit is known for their own Nikass on traditional compositions.

Wonder wtf he was thinking in making that statement...Ill take a Habbibuddin over a Zakir anyday...

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "tablafreak"
Very nice but did anyone catch his comment at 1:52 to 2:36?

What the hell is he smoking? I havent listened to any Ustad who has played "the same phrase, in the same way, 50,000 times in a 5 hour concert".

Also, Each Ustad/Pandit is known for their own Nikass on traditional compositions.

Wonder wtf he was thinking in making that statement...Ill take a Habbibuddin over a Zakir anyday...
I've heard Zakirji making such claims in a number of interviews, where he suggests that his playing breaks new ground by seeking to "color" his playing by exploring the tonal capabilities in new ways. This is, of course, a somewhat ridiculous claim, as one cannot listen to Habbibuddin, as you mentioned, or even Thirakwa, without hearing that traditional tabla players certainly sought to utilize the tabla's tonal capabilities to bring color and finesse to their playing. As is seems impossible to me that Zakirji is unaware of these precedents, my best guess is that he uses such claims in an attempt to legitimize fusion music within the sphere of classical musicians by suggesting that his artistic developments within the fusion realm have carried tabla artistry beyond its limitations in classical music in at least one area.

This is just a hunch, of course, not based on any in-depth research into the issue.

- V -

Reply with quote  #4 
Yeah this is certainly not the first time he has said some interesting things in interviews. I am sure some of you remember the interview where he mentioned he had Phd in music. I'm still waiting for the proof. Here is a sound clip of Habibuddin Khan from Kippen's site: http://kippen.org/t_masters/habibuddin.html . Sounds very melodic to me
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.