INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
nicneufeld

Reply with quote  #1 
Just listened to this on the way in to work this morning:

Around 32 1/2 minutes (as he is finishing) he is doing a fast ulti-jhalla with chikari and 2nd string low Ga. What I found particularly amazing is that you are listening to him play fast on that low ga, and then up swoops an additional voice, from Dha to higher Ga, while the low Ga is still sounding. Wonder if he was holding down the 2nd string Ga with his 3rd finger or something, then adding in the main string meending to Ga from Dha (same fret as 2nd string Ga). I was just amazed by it because the surbahar sounded already like 3-4 different voices were going on, then it was like another voice joins in. Always fun to hear something on record and postulate how it was achieved. What an instrument it is!
Sitarismylife

Reply with quote  #2 
Is the technique same as this one?
starting from 01:46.
chrisitar

Reply with quote  #3 
Yup! That's something i've only heard Ustadji do, one of his signature moves. Hold down jor string with index finger and meend with middle, pretty tricky!

Reply with quote  #4 
Ahhh, nice, never seen it before but that's it. I tried it on a whim...NOT something that comes easy...
chrisitar

Reply with quote  #5 
I remember when I saw him in 2006 he played Shivaranjani. He did this trick using the index on komal ga and imiddle on shuddh dha (what we know as a tritone, satans interval # 6) and did a meend up to sa. It was a pretty intense 10 seconds.
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.