INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
cwroyds

Reply with quote  #1 
Interesting project sitar made by Sarat Sardar & Sons.
It is a student style (No sympathetic strings, but you could probably buy it for next to nothing. Fixed up it might be a sweet little sitar.
Gourd is cracked, and it needs a lot of work.
I just figured one of you "Fix-em-up" types might find it interesting.
I have played a few Sarat Sardar sitars and liked them all.
They made some nice sitars in their day.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-SARAT-SARDAR-SONS-Sitar-Bangladesh-Ivory-As-Is-NR-/290661875222?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43accc3e16#ht_500wt_1180
nicneufeld

Reply with quote  #2 
Will definitely consider this...you tempt me strangely!!!

Needs a bridge, chikari posts, and gourd repair...if I could swing it for a low final bid price...well, we'll see!
cwroyds

Reply with quote  #3 
Well it is definitely not a golden gem, but get it super cheap and spend a little time on it and it might just be a cool practice sitar. It is definitely a bit rough, and needs a lot of fiddling.
I certainly would not spend very much on it though.

I have not seen such a simple Sarat Sardar.
Usually they are much more elaborate.
Their carving is amazing on the more lofty models.

Here is a nice example of crazy Sarat Sardar carving.
Check out the crazy tabli, pegs, and ghullu.
http://www.karaseksound.com/ShowBigPic.php?ID=IMG0156
povster

Reply with quote  #4 
If you bid on it be aware of the "$84.40 Standard Shipping" charge. Factor that into your bid. I will say the wood grain on the tabli looks nice.
David Russell Watson

Reply with quote  #5 
Oh I love how it's proportioned. I don't like carvings on the tabli, and I think sitar necks look so much sleeker and nicer without those rails they add to the ones with taraf strings.

I also actually prefer the look of its simple tuning pegs to the elaborately carved ones that expensive models get.

David
nicneufeld

Reply with quote  #6 
That one at Tony's site is unreal!!!! The swan bead alone!

Would have to be very low final bid (then plus shipping) to be worth it for me but I'll be keeping my eye on it. Might be a fun outlet for kharaj pancham guilty pleasures...until I get a surbahar!
`hege

Reply with quote  #7 
I wonder which of y'all wound up with the little gem?

Everyone so quiet and whimsical " I wouldn't spend much on it" , "Lovely proportions, etc.. LOL

I took a stab at it too (with the $80 shipping in mind), and I am hoping one of you all wound up with it and will post pics of the finished project!

'hege
cwroyds

Reply with quote  #8 
Whoever picked it up bid $150, so I figure they got a good deal.
With a little TLC it might be a sweet little sitar to plunk around on.
I figure any older sitar by a respected maker that goes for under $200 is a bargain.
coyootie

Reply with quote  #9 
brand names again!
I worked on a 60's Kanai Lal sitar some time back- really mediocre instrument.The pegs were nonfunctional and for the life of me I couldn't understand how the last owner, who'd studied seriously for years in India, ever tuned it. The owner was under the spell of 'brand names' and thought it was something great. a case of emperor's new clothes in my opinion.
In many cases, an instrument from a known maker will be consistent and reliable as a playable, good axe. but NOT always. I think we've all seen enough examples of this.
Know your instrument, know how it's supposed to work,and how you want it to sound and play. then you can make a sound judgement ( hahaha)
By the way that wildly carved Sardar sitar on Tony's website belonged to me and is now part of a great collection of world instruments back in St Louis. THAT was a superb instrument in artwork and playability/sound. some of the craziest elaborate carving I'd ever seen on a sitar.
nicneufeld

Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "coyootie"
By the way that wildly carved Sardar sitar on Tony's website belonged to me and is now part of a great collection of world instruments back in St Louis. .
Which museum? That's fairly close to me and sounds like a nice exhibit!
`hege

Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "coyootie"
THAT was a superb instrument in artwork and playability/sound. some of the craziest elaborate carving I'd ever seen on a sitar.
Nice to share the instrument that way, and I love the carving too, but at the same time it seems sad that it sits silent now... or are the instruments in this collection exercised? Wow what a beeyoot!
`hege
nasreenk088

Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "povster"
If you bid on it be aware of the "$84.40 Standard Shipping" charge. Factor that into your bid. I will say the wood grain on the tabli looks nice.
dont you thing that the shipping charges is too high.. 8)

Reply with quote  #13 
Ebay make their money on the sold article & NOT the postage. Some try to circumvent this by putting a stupid P & P charge & low selling price.

N
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.