INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
OM GUY

Reply with quote  #1 
I'm not sure if this website has been discussed here or not, but have a look at the bridge on this sitar..

http://www.sanjaydeshpande.com/sanjaykhanisitar.htm

Reply with quote  #2 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "OM
I'm not sure if this website has been discussed here or not, but have a look at the bridge on this sitar..

http://www.sanjaydeshpande.com/sanjaykhanisitar.htm
Yes, it ws brought up a few years ago here http://forums.chandrakantha.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3353&hilit=Sanjay+Deshpande#p18642 and generated some interesting discussion.

nicneufeld

Reply with quote  #3 
Interesting indeed! Both the radiused jawari and the extra frets. Seems like that bridge would take some specialized maintenance when you needed to freshen the jawari!
yussef ali k

Reply with quote  #4 
Hi. It seems SD wants to put bridge profile in line w/ fret profile. May extend jawari life somewhat. Might also work better w/ the sloped frets. 24 frets are a good idea too, although it touches on a lot of other stuff design-wise.
For other music besides raga... I don't know: the cikari+tarbs still make this sitar type a bit of a 'slave-to-Sa' and intonation on all frets (or at least the first 12 ...) would be mandatory for that purpose, I'd say.
But it is welcome indeed and a telltale clue on where the sitar-evo is heading. Any further info on this? ... Thanks !!
fossesitar

Reply with quote  #5 
When someone is able to truly play western music (IE chord changes) on sitar I will be the first to salute them. A curved bridge is undoubtedly a plus if one wants to play all strings on all frets, on a CURVED fretboard (sitar). A flat bridge accomplishes the same thing on a FLAT fretboard (see Saraswati veena and Rudra). The sitar is a DRONE instrument and Yussufs point is well taken on that. The great thing ABOUT sitar - especially as configured by VK - is its intensity and purity of purpose! You can only get that "KUSH" from the drones, and the rich full drone palette, when configured in this way. As per usual, one gives up something to accomplish something. Are bagpipes suitable for typical (IE chord changes) western music? NYET. Because once again it is a DRONE instrument and configured as such. Oh, of course, there IS a way to do this but one wonders if it is really worth the effort. When something is PURE, let it run free and be what it is. On Surbahar a curved bridge (or flat frets with aa flat bridge) is definitely the way to go, otherwise kharaj is only usable on the first few frets or when meending (new word??) on higher the frets. Unless bridge matches frets (flat/flat or curved/curved) kharaj is WAY sharp on any but the first few frets.......
yussef ali k

Reply with quote  #6 
Hi. (to fossesitar): Well said! - For a number of yrs now (since 1st listening to Bismillah Khan) I'm wondering if anybody ever tried the bagpipes in the contxt of ICM. Don't know about its organology, so I'll leave it as is now.
(P.S.: Sorry for digressing - maybe I should have posted this separately).
So ... Is there anyone already? (I feel
fossesitar

Reply with quote  #7 
Graet idea Yussuf and I never thought of it - BAGPIPES FOR ICM!! Lets get us a grant....
yussef ali k

Reply with quote  #8 
Hmmmm ...Violins and Cellos are already there!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.