INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
TK

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi All:
(David: this is not an ad to sell or buy)

There is a book on ebay (item 7019772631) with some interesting photos in it...check out the sitar's headstock! Has anyone here ever played or seen one of these?

TK

PS: Lily, check your Private Messages.

Lily

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi TK, what's up?
Lily
AbdulLatif

Reply with quote  #3 
Hello TK,
The sitar looks like a very early attempt at modernizing a sitar with guitar machine heads. Its been standard on dilrubas for quite some time but has never really stuck to tambouras or sitars. My guess is aesthetics, they really don't look as attractive as friction pegs.

Thanks for the lead to the book store, Ive had an open order for a rare book on Veena technique and am despairing of finding a copy. Maybe that seller can find it.

Reply with quote  #4 
Friend AbdulLatif

I agree about aesthetics too.

Here's a contact I made in Varanasi on my latest trip

Universal Books of Varanasi, e-mail Amit mentioning me, Nick from the UK, at

universalvns@satyam.net.in

They have quite a collection of some very rare books. I managed to find a copy of the 'Sitar Techniques' book, long out of print to be sent to me back in the UK.
They also have copies of all the new prints such as the new one on 'Maihar Gharana'. Alain Danielou's books and Bonny Wade's with pics of old hippies playing in it 8) There's an EXCELLENT LARGE book on all the tabla gharanas with written examples of each.

Postage is very cheap. Only 250 roops/up to max 5kg to send sea-mail but takes bloody ages if you're not bothered waiting. Or a little more on airmail to arrive within 6-8 weeks.

Great stuff. Please tell me how you got on. PM or something.

Nick
Anonymous

Reply with quote  #5 
The instrumnet that the guy with the big tilak is playing is definately a South Indian Veena. The other instruments seems to be a sitar like a student sitar, without tarafi, and with machine tuners instead of standard pegs, An 8 stringer though, an extra string maybe for Ga?

Bharat
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.