INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Anonymous

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello all,
I am new to the sarod and currently have a wonderful teacher, Ross, who has been trained by Ali Akbar Khan. Unfortunately, we are separated by miles of ocean. Does anyone out there know where I can find any instructional materials? I am especially interested in exercises and ornamentation. I am studying the book "North Indian Classical Music, the First Years Study". Any suggestions would be deeply appreciated.

Rasa Priya
Joshua Feinberg

Reply with quote  #2 
hi,

the Ali Akbar College has quite a few good books to work from, many of them were written by Ustad George Ruckert, one of Khansahib's senior disciples. i know for sure there are books by him with Rag Kirwani, Chandranandan, and Darbari Kanara. you may want to call the college store and ask if Georgeda has written anything with excercizes, i dont know but i should think he has.

best of luck,

jf

Rasa Priya

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks for the tip JF. There are few educational resources available for the sarod. It would be nice if someone was able to put together an instructional video set and/or an instructional book. The book from Ali Akbar College, "Classical North Indian Music, the First Year in Study", is quite excellent. I wish it had a bit more exercises.

Rasa Priya
Joshua Feinberg

Reply with quote  #4 
rasa priya,

where are you located? i might know someone you could get in contact with. also, if you get a copy of Ravi Shankar's 1968 autobiography, "My Music, My life, " (it might be the other way around, i can never remember) there is a whole section in the back devoted to alankar, palta, sargam, murchana, gamak, krintan, and lots of other excercises. i know its written for sitar, but much of that material is universal. check it out.

best,

jf

Rasa Priya

Reply with quote  #5 
Aloha JF,
I just ordered "My Music My Life" by Ravi Shankar, through e-bay. I should receive it in another week or so. I live on the Island of Maui. Ross Kent is my sarod teacher, but he lives near the AACM in California. He is able to come out here a few times a year. Thank you so much for your encouraging help and good advice. I really appreciate it. I am looking forward to read Ravi Shankar's book. Thanks again.

Rasa Priya
Anonymous

Reply with quote  #6 
Hello from Sarasota, FL. While looking for a sarod instructor in the Sarasota area a friend at AAC suggested The Raga Guide by Joep Bor . . . it comes with four CDs and is quite informative. I've also located a wonderful Indian vocalist who, with this book, is taking me through the formative stages of classical Indian music; I love every bit of direction and encouragement I can get.

My instruments however are 22 and 23 string fretless guitars that I designed/built which are inspired by the sarod. I was smitten by classical Indian music when playing sarod at AAC for two months back in 1974 and am now making this music a creative focus in my senior years. I've had four concerts in quick succession recently but know that I am a neophyte on this path (some concert photos - http://www.nebelphotography.com/album/index.html).

If you know of teachers in this area please let me know about them.

Also . . . Does anyone know where George Rucker is these days; heard that he was at MIT a couple of years ago?

In gratitude for this forum, Dwij

dwij@dwij.org
Joshua Feinberg

Reply with quote  #7 
hello,

yes, George Ruckert is at MIT teaching, and lives a little outside boston. if you'd like to get in touch with him i'd be happy to pass along his email address to you. send me an email if you'd like it.

best,

jf

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.