INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
ahirbhairav

Reply with quote  #1 
Namaskar to all...

Smt. Indrani Mukherjee will give a concert tomorrow (this Saturday) from 5 pm onwards. This concert is organized by Basant Bahar and is at the Jain Temple. Indraniji will be accompanied by the melodious harmonium of Vivek Datar and by Arup Chatterjee's wonderful tabla.

-a

Rakesh & Friends (Gino Banks, the drummer, tweeted me that they'll be in Oct, so whenever they come here, if they come here.)
Zakir Hussain & company (3/23/14)
ahirbhairav

Reply with quote  #2 
Namaste all. Here is the review of Indrani Mukherjee's concert at Jain Temple, organized by the Basant Bahar organization..of course it was in the Bay Area. Accompanied by local harmonium artist Vivek Datar (if he's reading this, AMAZING harmonium playing) & Arup Chattopadhyay on the tabla (he was also very nice).

The concert opened with Raag Yaman Kalyan: a Vilambit Ektaal (which always bores me), but I stayed because there were Madhya and Drut Teentals afterward. (Mukherjee needs to work on her terminology: she told the audience it would have a Vilambit Ektaal, but did not say Madhya or Drut but instead said "middle tempo & fast tempo".) Afterward, she presented a tough raag: Raag Hameer, which makes extensive use of higher notes. A "middle" Rupak, and "middle" & "fast" Teentaals, were very nice. Intermission was uneventful...the bhel was nice though

In the second half: A thumri in Khamaj, dadra in Pilu, hori thumri, a chaiti, bhajan in Mishra Pilu. Followed by a finale in Bhairavi (why is it that Bhairavi is always the final raag to be presented?), it was just AMAZING!

As a new member of Basant Bahar, I was pleasantly surprised by the audio quality. I could actually HEAR the recital in the back...unlike the Pt. Jasraj concert at the Flint Center (Hariprasadji was fine).

Next concerts:
For the first time, a fusion concert: Ronu Majumdar & George Brooks [Request: Dancing with the Wind from his album "Fusion Yatra"] (July 14)
Aditya Sharma (August)
Sandipan Samajpati (I've already decided I'm asking him to sing Jhinjhoti) - September
Shubhendra Rao (My request: Raag Parmeshwari) - October

November & December are not there yet.

-ahir.

Rakesh & Friends (Gino Banks, the drummer, tweeted me that they'll be in Oct, so whenever they come here, if they come here.)
Zakir Hussain & company (3/23/14)
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.