INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Marino

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello,

I heard Indian music for the first time when I was 20. It was a Hare Krsna music by Aindra. The music affected my emotions intensely. I was experiencing very deep and intimate emotions.

How's possible that music from another culture could affect me so deeply, even though I was from Yugoslavia and had no connections with Indian culture.

Thank you,
Marino
Tristan von Neumann

Reply with quote  #2 
Dear Marino,

even if you are from Yugoslavia, and were raised in any of the languages there, you already have parts of ancient Indo-European Heritage in You.
Also, the Balkan is one of the centers of Proto-Indoeuropean cultures before they migrated to India.
Greeks also came from the north, and parts of the Greek system have been assimilated by Indian music.

So for me, there is absolutely nothing strange about your feelings.

Enjoy your heritage :)
jazzman1945

Reply with quote  #3 
At the Tel Aviv University, at one time, there  was  experiment carried out in listening to music, being in a state of relaxation or meditation. The music of four genres was used: Bach, Tchaikovsky (or Chopin), rock and ICM . Students were then to describe the sensations in the body while listening to music. It turned out the following: 
Bach's music caused a body reaction in the head area , romantic music - in the heart area , rock music  - in the  area  of lower abdomen and legs. ICM caused a whole body reaction - from top to bottom.
Marino

Reply with quote  #4 
Wow, that's how I felt too.
Jason

Reply with quote  #5 
Hi Marino,

Welcome to the forums!  

I am not familiar with Aindra.  

I believe, however, that North Indian Raags have associations with particular emotions (as well as seasons of the year and times of day).  This association with an emotion is called "rasa".  

This forum must contain at least several discussions/debates on the concept of rasa. Information may also be found on the web and in print.

This article may also be of interest:  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4415143/

I found that learning about rasa and raag structures lead me to a much deeper emotional level in listening to ICM, particularly when I started to recognize and understand how artists express their own style and talent within a particular rasa when performing a raag.

- Jason
Tristan von Neumann

Reply with quote  #6 
It is indeed very interesting that also Europe of the 16th century there is a rising need to explain "mode" which is like the Raga not merely a scale but a melodic matrix, also attributing various emotions to the particular modes.
These emotions are not the same with every theoretician, but mostly fall into similar categories.
It would be interesting to compare those to the rasas of Ragas of the same modal categories.
Ingo

Reply with quote  #7 
There is a dissertation from 1995(?), unfortunatly only in German, that compares these. Written by Lars-Christian Koch, has a nice adequate long title: "Zur Bedeutung der Rasa-Lehre für die zeitgenössische nordindische Kunstmusik, mit einem Vergleich mit der Affektenlehre des 17. und 18. Jahrhunderts (Ravīndra Dhvani Band 2)."
Tristan von Neumann

Reply with quote  #8 
Thanks Ingo, that's an interesting reference!
I will try to check this out.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.