INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
cwroyds

Reply with quote  #16 
WOW, what a group of instruments!!!!
Those Surbahars are amazing.
Such beautiful tablis.
The Hemen sitars are very pretty as well.

I WANT THE NIKHIL BANERJEE ONE!!!! (but Im not in the market right now. )
It is a bit like owning a guitar played by Hendrix or Clapton.
Guess I will have to drown my sorrows in my Hiren Roy and Kanai Lal. 8) 8) 8) 8) :roll: :roll: :roll:

If these are what he is selling, I would love to see what he is keeping!!!
Aanaddha

Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "povster"
But more directly, dumping on a For Sale thread that is legit, as this one is legit, demonstrates very poor etiquette.
Legit, yes, I'm absolutely certain. No doubts intended.
Pretentious?....perhaps. (And since when did everyone here begin practicing "etiquette"? Furthermore, your definition of etiquette seems to imply that there is an unquestioned consensus of opinion here. Not.)

Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Aanaddha"
Quote:
But more directly, dumping on a For Sale thread that is legit, as this one is legit, demonstrates very poor etiquette.
Legit, yes, I'm absolutely certain. No doubts intended.
Pretentious?....perhaps. (And since when did everyone here begin practicing "etiquette"? Furthermore, your definition of etiquette seems to imply that there is an unquestioned consensus of opinion here. Not.)
Not just "here". I am talking about internet message board etiquette. Yes, certain principles have developed in message boards just as they have developed in the drawing room or the music room or the dining room. I know you appreciate the principle of principles! And it is, in the internet world, frowned upon to cross on another person's For Sale or Want To Buy post if said post is legitimate. As far as pretentious? Nah. Just very (some may say overly) enthusiastic. But such is Josh and I cannot fault him for his enthusiasms...enthusiasms...enthusiasms (pardon me - I started channelling De Niro's performance of Al Capone in the 1987 THE UNTOUCHABLES.

Also, as I know you do love language: I am surprised to hear you say an "unquestioned consensus", which sounds something like an oxymoron, as the primary definition of "consensus" is a majority agreement: not agreement by all. But in THAT spirit I would say a consensus to etiquette does exist here. (Notice how polite even I am in my response you dillweed! (j/k).

So my dear Aanaddha, will you bop me on the head if I say that this is kind of fun?

Anyway - for folks interested the link to these auctions (and to those "ICM related" auctions not yet to appear) is... http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/jlpsitarist

Lars

Reply with quote  #19 
Whew, pricey....but good luck with the auctions at any rate! I would take issue with saying there's no more Hiren Roy as it is still there although in the house rather than the shop but I think Baruns good instruments are as good as they get even though the carver for the old instruments has long since gone. Have the joints, etc. been reglued since they're over 25 years old? Just curious, maybe I"ll win the lotto this week!..... 8)

Reply with quote  #20 
JamesDa Good luck with your auction - this has to be one of the most beautiful collections available - I hope you make a bundle and the people who are lucky enough to snag one of these beauties are indeed blessed. I will ask the blessing of Sri Ganapate on your new endevors in North Carolina - The west coast's loss is definately the east coasts gain. Hope all works out well for you.
Quote:
Lars wrote:
Have the joints, etc. been reglued since they're over 25 years old?
Got what I'm sure is a stupid question for Lars (or anyone else that wants to wade in) - Why would the joints need reglued just because of age?? My teacher has many old masterpiece instruments of the same vintage & older including a Hemen given to him as a present by NB that the Maestro had played on his tour in the 70's when Patric set up NB's first concert in Chicago to a rousing success - as well as numerous other Hiren Roy's - Hemen's - Rikhi Rams etc etc etc teak or tun, and all have been serviced maintained & inspected over these many years by everyone from Ajay to our Sitarfixer as well as many others going back most of these 50 years. And yes some of the hundreds of instuments that have come thru his hands & have remained with him or gone to students have needed gourd repairs - glue jobs etc because of damage or the ravages of a hard used life.- There are MANY axes in Patrics arsenal that are of the same fine vintage & have never needed anything more than peg dressing - jawari - strings -the occasional chikari post - etc.
These are not closet queens but just like James' up for grabs beauties (OH TO HAVE SOME CASH) They are a 72 year old playin,teachin,masters personal stash that have been on the road for many a year.
I have also had many of the vintage Axes sold to Andy's in Chicago by our friend Tony from his museum including that pre 47 etched badge RR - probably one of the older Grandpas available today - or the ones by Arnob from his great finds in recent years, and I would wonder how many needed to have the joints reglued just due to the vintage.
Just because of age unless there was a problem that developed why would it be assumed it would need such service ??
Just curious. :mrgreen:

Hamletsghost 8)

Reply with quote  #21 
Quote:

So my dear Aanaddha, will you bop me on the head if I say that this is kind of fun?
On the contrary dear Povster, even I cannot supress the intrinsic humor presented here.
...for an equal amount you could maybe have lunch at a Republican fund-raiser?

Reply with quote  #22 
Quote:
Unless you're already a Pt./Ust.) who doesn't need $3500. worth of vocal lessons...or sitar/surbahar lessons?
Aanaddha
Annadha, I agree in principle. Anyway, the market shall determine whether these gems are indeed worth the asking price; Mssr. Pomerantz has the right to ask his price and test the waters.

On that note, I have a rare houseplant that was watered by Pd. Nikhil Bannerjee for two straight summers while he lived in the U.S. Asking price: $3,000. :roll:

Reply with quote  #23 
Regarding my surbahar...
I would like to apologize to Kalyan, Bruce, and everyone at the Ali Akbar College store. I wasnt trying to trash anyone on this forum and you guys do a great job!! Im sorry I expressed my impatience online.I went a little overboard in describing what I would do differently. Kalyan did a remarkable job on a 7x3x2 ft shipping container that had three separate chambers for stablility. It was honestly a labor of love a great favor to me, my frustration over the sale of this instrument is mostly with FEDEX and to the college's credit they were unaware of this change in shipping practices (contract drivers) due to rising gas prices. Bruce did call on my behalf to FedEx I was not made aware of that until very recently.In any case I feel terrible about anything I said regarding this sale. In all honesty I would have paid alot more for the same services if I had gone to a packaging company.I also didnt realize that the store t lost money to send me this rare beautiful one of a kind instrument. These people at AACM store are saints. They arent appreciated enough.

to Josh and to James Lester Pomerantz

I hope your sale goes well, these are great deals, I apologize for being a meddler, my purchase was complicated by not having a case and the sheer size of the instrument.I got an incredible deal it was wrong and unappreciative of me to use the forum to make you accountable for my tumba
Lars

Reply with quote  #24 
Sitars are glued with hide glue and this deteriorates over time, microbes, etc. love it. I was just curious, not implying they would spring apart or anything but I've seen a few do it especially ones that get played and so was curious if they had been overhauled...
While Hiren Roy is my favorite of course for some reason they seem to come apart more than others, at least in my experience. Perhaps just the way it goes as there's no reason for it given the bodies have been put together by the same people in the same way. It's fixable though and not a big deal in the right hands, better than a sunken tabli or a twisted neck!
It'll be interesting to see if these sell at listed prices, perhaps a new standard will be set? If so, then I'm raising prices If not then I'd be happy to store that old teak HR (for safe keeping) for Jimmy.... Love the tabli on that one! Good luck.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Hamletsghost"
JamesDa Good luck with your auction - this has to be one of the most beautiful collections available - I hope you make a bundle and the people who are lucky enough to snag one of these beauties are indeed blessed. I will ask the blessing of Sri Ganapate on your new endevors in North Carolina - The west coast's loss is definately the east coasts gain. Hope all works out well for you.
Quote:
Lars wrote:
Have the joints, etc. been reglued since they're over 25 years old?
Got what I'm sure is a stupid question for Lars (or anyone else that wants to wade in) - Why would the joints need reglued just because of age?? My teacher has many old masterpiece instruments of the same vintage & older including a Hemen given to him as a present by NB that the Maestro had played on his tour in the 70's when Patric set up NB's first concert in Chicago to a rousing success - as well as numerous other Hiren Roy's - Hemen's - Rikhi Rams etc etc etc teak or tun, and all have been serviced maintained & inspected over these many years by everyone from Ajay to our Sitarfixer as well as many others going back most of these 50 years. And yes some of the hundreds of instuments that have come thru his hands & have remained with him or gone to students have needed gourd repairs - glue jobs etc because of damage or the ravages of a hard used life.- There are MANY axes in Patrics arsenal that are of the same fine vintage & have never needed anything more than peg dressing - jawari - strings -the occasional chikari post - etc.
These are not closet queens but just like James' up for grabs beauties (OH TO HAVE SOME CASH) They are a 72 year old playin,teachin,masters personal stash that have been on the road for many a year.
I have also had many of the vintage Axes sold to Andy's in Chicago by our friend Tony from his museum including that pre 47 etched badge RR - probably one of the older Grandpas available today - or the ones by Arnob from his great finds in recent years, and I would wonder how many needed to have the joints reglued just due to the vintage.
Just because of age unless there was a problem that developed why would it be assumed it would need such service ??
Just curious. :mrgreen:

Hamletsghost 8)

Reply with quote  #25 
hide glue is incredibly durable, and unless exposed to very extreme extremes of heat or moisture ( or if it wasn't compounded correctly initially, i.e. not being made fresh) will last for centuries. for instance if you're really stupid and leave a sitar in a closed car on a hot day, you can actually melt joints.
best rule for treating your axes correctly- don't put them anywhere you're not comfortable. this doesn't mean you can take your tambura into the sauna also.
furniture found in the Tutankhamen burial treasures still has solid joints, glued with guess what?
Lars

Reply with quote  #26 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "coyootie"
........or if it wasn't compounded correctly initially, i.e. not being made fresh
Now you're on to something :!:

Reply with quote  #27 
i'll bet that could be why joints come loose- in my early days of lutherie I did just this, cooking and reheating hide glue for days, and the joints gave out-----hide glue is very cheap and making new batches daily is not sweat. unless of course you're an indian craftsman and try to economize on little things like using fresh hide glue ALWAYS.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.