INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
nicneufeld

Reply with quote  #1 
http://events.stltoday.com/st_louis_mo/events/show/284993105-ustad-imrat-khan-in-concert

Gas prices are going to make this a pricey one but I intend to get out to St Louis to see this, if I can!
nicneufeld

Reply with quote  #2 
Such a lovely concert tonight!

chrisitar and I had a spot on the second row, so an excellent view of the pyrotechnics was afforded.

First we had Shafaatullah Khan playing a tabla solo with harmonium accompaniment. I can't speak much about tabla techniques, but it was full of flash and pretty impressive technique...a few things I hadn't seen before, but I would defer to tabla folks to explain! I liked one section of keherva taal where he was playing long with the lehera on the bayan, basically right in tune.

Then Wajahat came out and played a full alap/jor/jhalla in his father's "Imratkauns", as they said a combo of malkauns and rageshree. Basically to me it was Charukeshi without pancham. Followed by a gat with Shafaat. Wajahat's sarod playing impressed me greatly...to a sitar player he is not one of the commonly thought of sons of Imrat Khan but his playing was stunning, beautifully in sur and inventive. His sarod tone was so clear and clean, lovely music.

After an intermission, Ustad-ji came out with his surbahar. He's been fighting some health issues lately so surbahar is a challenge for him physically, but he played in Chandni Kalyan a full alap. He had a sort of stand rigged to help him play with the neck supported, but by the end he took it off and played conventionally. He seemed to swell into the performance, hitting his stride and going on from there. Practical troubles (tuning instability of the instrument and the aforementioned stand) he seemed to brush off with characteristic good humor. That low sa kharaj had growl that must come from excellent jawari...wonderful tone.

Lastly his sons joined him on stage again, for a sarod/sitar jughalbandhi. Ustad-ji seemed more comfortable with his smaller sitar and it was fantastic playing between them. Raag was Pilu, and the composition was one of Enayat Khan's, which Vilayat Khan has also recorded. Lots of humorous onstage interaction, and shifting, playful moods.

All in all was probably one of the more memorable concerts I have attended and well worth the drive to and fro from Kansas City.

Now, to bed...
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #3 
Will any recordings become available? Or pics?
Check out my Goodies post!!

Nick
nicneufeld

Reply with quote  #4 
I really hope so. Was hoping to take a few myself but the venue/organizers had a very stern admonishment at the beginning about no pictures, no recording, etc. That said there was a camera there, run by his family. I shall entreat to see if it will be published, as I for one would love to rewatch the concert again and take in more!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.