INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
povster

Reply with quote  #1 
My index finger callous/groove has gone all weird. Not sure if the Surbahar, the weather or simple pomp and circumstance has impacted it. The groove is nearly gone, the callous is incredibly hard (almost rocklike) and a new groove began forming under the callous, on baby soft, tender skin. I stood that for a few of days but this was really impacting me. The new area stayed soft and it felt like it was actually puching the callous up a bit, kinf of like those Islands that form in the middle of the ocean by some great tectonic shift.

So I decided to take on of my fine x-acto saw blades and get to work. I began by playing some long mirs (meends) in Multani, followed by some tans and some gamaki stuff, smack dab on the top of Mount Callous, positioning it where I wanted the groove to actually be. I then gently sawed the resultant line. First I could only saw forwards, as the "rip" of the saw blade usually gets hung up for the first few back strokes. I then sawed gently for 3 full forward/back strokes. Made that kinf od familiar line with a bit of broken skin on either side. Then I had to go to work, where I be now. So this evening will sit again and see the results of my carpentry.

Anyone have similar experiences?

element-82

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi Povster,
I have had similary issues with the calous slots. My solution is to take a shower and then go and play. The new mark is easy in the soft callous. I have also tried filing and cutting, but prefer the shower method.

Pb
Quote:
Originally Posted by "povster"
My index finger callous/groove has gone all weird. Not sure if the Surbahar, the weather or simple pomp and circumstance has impacted it. The groove is nearly gone, the callous is incredibly hard (almost rocklike) and a new groove began forming under the callous, on baby soft, tender skin. I stood that for a few of days but this was really impacting me. The new area stayed soft and it felt like it was actually puching the callous up a bit, kinf of like those Islands that form in the middle of the ocean by some great tectonic shift.

So I decided to take on of my fine x-acto saw blades and get to work. I began by playing some long mirs (meends) in Multani, followed by some tans and some gamaki stuff, smack dab on the top of Mount Callous, positioning it where I wanted the groove to actually be. I then gently sawed the resultant line. First I could only saw forwards, as the "rip" of the saw blade usually gets hung up for the first few back strokes. I then sawed gently for 3 full forward/back strokes. Made that kinf od familiar line with a bit of broken skin on either side. Then I had to go to work, where I be now. So this evening will sit again and see the results of my carpentry.

Anyone have similar experiences?

trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #3 
Oh My God

Cosmetic Sitargery!!!!!!

Nick
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #4 
" Opening night " ! " A cut above " !

Reply with quote  #5 
Just like the sun sets and the temperature drops into night, slowly, slowly, day by day, my track lowers and lowers. It is an ongoing process. Every three months or so I have to re-adjust my track position back to the top. This happens because my track deepens and my callus thickens and the whole area gets pushed down. I have never tried anything so dramatic as taking an exacto knife to it, but I have "shaved" my callus off with a nail file a few times. This leads to a couple days of frustrated, unprotected slipping around (I said slipping) but works if its an emergency. Otherwise, element-82's shower technique works pretty well for me.
I am interesting in hearing the results of your (somewhat horrifying)operation. My perception, relationship, and experience with such a tiny area of my body is so personal and unexplainable to anyone other then fellow sitar players, I am really curious if anyone else has anything to offer on this topic!!!
povster

Reply with quote  #6 
I am interesting in hearing the results of your (somewhat horrifying)operation.

Well, it actually worked pretty well. Not sure what was up with that callous but even after showering it seemed to dry out awfully fast, and then get really hard again. And even damp the string would not make a set line. And whatever slight impression was made seemed to vanish very quickly.

Again I caution this was a VERY slight sawing - VERY slight. Just enough to remove a bit of the UPPER layers of the callous and create a starter or training groove. Once that was there I kept on it, alternating mirs and challans. Seems to have settled in fine now. It is a TITCH lower than I like but it definitely has callous below it as well as above.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.