INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
westsea

Reply with quote  #1 
If a picture is worth a thousand words, then a video must be worth volumes of books.
Sanjoy Bandopadhyay has posted another sitar video performance.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1256536048111479593&hl=en

He plays a rare variety of Raga Puriya Kalyan. It "takes shudh-Re, and omits P!!".
The video opens up many areas for discussion including rare ragas, that particular raga, and sitar technique (notice the fingering and listen to the chikari technique!), so it really spans forums... including the tabla forum.

Whatever forum it lands in, it's beautiful music and great to watch.
You can learn more about Sanjoy on
http://www.indianmusiclessons.com/
Stuti

Reply with quote  #2 
Greetings Westsea,
Thank you for posting those wonderful Videos. My question is about the ascending scale. I'm new to ICM so please bear with me. Would N1 be the same as Da and why does the Karnatic scale use the numbers to identify the same notes, why say N1 and not Da. thank you.

Reply with quote  #3 
Hi

firstly, this version Puriya Kalyan seems to be mainly based on the fact that in the purvang it is Kalyan and utarang Puriya. This is differs from the more usual Puriya Kalyan, which is basically Puriya all over except for some arohi phrases in the utarang.

Next and to my understanding, N1 is equivelant to D2 and which both equal the Hindustani shuddh Dha. The reason for this type of nomenclature is that theoritically in Carnatic Music you can have a scale like this S r R m P n N S. To stop confusion in sargam, the scale is given the following names: S R1 G1 M2 P D3 N3 S".

THIS THE WHOLE OCTAVE:

S R1 R2/G1 R3/G2 G3 M1 M2 P D1 D2/N1 D3/N2 N3 S''

So shuddh Re komal Ga, shudh Da and komal Ni have 2 different names each.

Reply with quote  #4 
awesome
thx for posting!
westsea

Reply with quote  #5 
There are many varieties of notation.
I believe when Rrik writes,
N1 R G M D N S’ S’ N D M G R S,
N1 refers to the N in the octave below S.
S' is the octave above.
Stuti

Reply with quote  #6 
I agree with Daz, Awesome! Thank you all for clarifying that and excuse the mispelled words and pronuciation. What a journey this is, full of excitement.
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.