INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Register Calendar Latest Topics Chat

Author   Comment   Page 4 of 4      Prev   1   2   3   4
geezerjazz

Reply with quote  #46 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barron Singh
Because once you devote yourself to actually examining African music you will learn that the origin of the bowed instruments is African( Masinko), that chamber music and it’s harmonies are African (Ziryab), and that thw development of improvised melodies over harmonies isban extension of the Tasqism in Baroque Music, whose etymology is an afro-asiatic word (Barack, meaning Lightning or quick thinking or enlightenment). I don’t expect you to do anything other than cling to your predisposed suppositions. It is enough to simply state the facts. I’m not here to convince those who were taught to believe otherwise by the ill equipped academic sources of the past century which we know now to be tainted by inherent bias.

It's not sufficient to point to cross-cultural similarities to make your case. One must also demonstrate temporal precedence, and articulate a transmission mechanism. Without those we are simply dealing in speculation.
Sanjeeb

Reply with quote  #47 

Barron thanks for sharing your knowledge. Makes a lot of sense to me.

'Because once you devote yourself to actually examining African music you will learn that the origin of the bowed instruments is African( Masinko), that chamber music and it’s harmonies are African (Ziryab), and that thw development of improvised melodies over harmonies isban extension of the Tasqism in Baroque Music, whose etymology is an afro-asiatic word (Barack, meaning Lightning or quick thinking or enlightenment).'

End of Quote

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.