INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
pbercker

Reply with quote  #1 
Greetings,

Can anyone sell/trade me a 4 1/2 inch dayan shell? It's a rather difficult size to find. I have a 4 1/2 in tabla head that's just sitting there with nothing to do and I'm dying to find out what it sounds like! It must be a very high pitch being so small!

I have a number of dayan shell (5", 5.25" and 5.5") I might be willing to trade for it.

Please let me know,

Pascal Bercker

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
va4leo

Reply with quote  #2 
Hey there! Would you trade the skin instead? I have a black sheeshum Shell sitting on my book shelf. A laceraton appears in the skin just this evening and I am looking for a replacement. Waiting to hear from Mukta Das's shop and a local source (very hard to find 4.5" skins!!). If i can't find one, I might just take a trip up to Hyderabad to Akber Miya!! xD

Reply with quote  #3 
Can one of you post a picture of a 4.5" shell. I have never seen one before. What's the height of the sell? Was it a custom order?
va4leo

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "hbajpai"
Can one of you post a picture of a 4.5" shell. I have never seen one before. What's the height of the sell? Was it a custom order?
The height is about 10". Here are a few pictures with and without the skin:

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/3535/kalisheeshum43.th.jpg
http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/2214/img2356be.th.jpg
http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/3276/sheel2.th.jpg
http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/260/kalisheeshum41.th.jpg

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "va4leo"
Hey there! Would you trade the skin instead? I have a black sheeshum Shell sitting on my book shelf. A laceraton appears in the skin just this evening and I am looking for a replacement. Waiting to hear from Mukta Das's shop and a local source (very hard to find 4.5" skins!!). If i can't find one, I might just take a trip up to Hyderabad to Akber Miya!! xD
Sorry but I much prefer to keep my 4.5 skin .... as you've discovered it's very hard to find! The skin looks very well made and I'm anxious to see if I can get a good sounding E tabla. I have 2 5inch tabla at around E / Eb .... but both sound quite inferior. I intend to make it part of my collection of 13 tablas that I have, but I'm lacking a 4.5 inch! (I have several sizes including a 5", 5 1/4", 5 3/8", 5 1/2 and 5 3/4).

Pascal Bercker

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
va4leo

Reply with quote  #6 
Might i suggest getting in contact with Indian Tabla Makers? They would be able to make a shell for you.

Do you want a few contacts?

Also, from experience, the 4.5" goes very very nicely to F. Sounds amazing. Unfortunately, the skin was not ideal...there were areas of cracks on half or the skin on the under side and it cracked and lacerated Oh well...

Reply with quote  #7 
By all means some contacts would be quite useful!

By the way what kind of instruments would a E or F tabla accompany?

Pascal Bercker

va4leo

Reply with quote  #8 
The tabla in F and E are very frequently used to accompany our Vocalists who sing for bhajans. We don't follow the usual pitches of C# and D# xD

Reply with quote  #9 
There is a CD of Hariprasad Chaurasia entitled "First LP record". The accompanying tabla is in high F. I rarely have heard so high-pitched tablas in recordings (of instrumental classical music I mean).
va4leo

Reply with quote  #10 
This is a video of Zakir Hussain playing an F dayan.

Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "va4leo"
This is a video of Zakir Hussain playing an F dayan.
Interesting video ... I didn't know a sitar could be tuned quite that high either ... E is normally the highest I've heard. The tabla sounds good but to my ear if it went any higher it would start sounding like a tin pot!

Pascal Bercker

va4leo

Reply with quote  #12 
Get what on eBay Morshid?

Reply with quote  #13 
hi
recently i saw, a long discussion going on about 4.5" shell.
did you find it? if you are still interested, i can send you a very good quality "mehagany" wood.
i am a professional tabla player from kolkata, and i have a small set up for exporting indian musical instruments.
my e mail is jeet2702@gmail.com
regards
subhajit brahmachari
pbercker

Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "subhajit_tabla"
hi
recently i saw, a long discussion going on about 4.5" shell.
did you find it? if you are still interested, i can send you a very good quality "mehagany" wood.
i am a professional tabla player from kolkata, and i have a small set up for exporting indian musical instruments.
my e mail is jeet2702@gmail.com
regards
subhajit brahmachari
I no longer need it as I traded my 4 1/2 tabla head for a 5 " .

Pascal

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.