INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
pritlee

Reply with quote  #1 
hello all

this forum is quite good and covers lot of things but one thing i have noticed that there is no information on how to string a sarangi and what do, how to do, what to avoid and specially how to tie it at the other end of the pegs......

if anyone has any videos or picture can you please post it as i have just bought one sarangi and person i have bought it from will kindly send me some pic and stuff which i will put here if possible but i am sure there must be people out there with video or pic on how to string and tie the string at the end etc etc

many thanks

prit
martin spaink

Reply with quote  #2 
no pics, no video's, just words, that's all I got for you...

enter the string from the backside through the proper hole at the tailpiece. Make it stick out some 4 inch/ 10 cm, bend and fold back 180 degrees at 1 inch / 2,5 cm, squeeze the bend gently flat with a pliers. Then gently pass the string through the hook you just made, without kinking the string, pull down in the tailpiece so that the string is caught in the hook. Leave a bit of leeway until you've pulled trough most of the string, do it in phases, pull down on the hook, advance the string toward the bridge, repeat until tight. When tuning up the string, bring it to pitch, push the hook down in the tailpiece with the nail of your thumb, so that it is flush with the surface of the tailpiece, tune up again and that should be it. PS I use the same hook-through method at the pegs.
good luck
pritlee

Reply with quote  #3 
thanks for youre reply.....

David Courtney kindly sent me an email.....it is the same as stringing a Dilruba......for any interested parties in the future please visit the link below i hope it will help someone......

http://www.chandrakantha.com/articles/indian_music/dilruba/dilruba_stringing.html

regards

Pritlee
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.