INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Mahati

Reply with quote  #1 
hi,
I am learning Hindustani music.My problem is i can't sing MOST OF THE SONGS perfectly with taal.I make mistakes in timing(taal) of song(it may be film song,light music,classical).
So,please help guide me how to practice with taal?
geezerjazz

Reply with quote  #2 

Most challenges in learning music can be solved by separating the various elements, breaking each of them down to their smallest components, and practicing them separately. Master tiny pieces, then chain them together.

dhatitdha

Reply with quote  #3 
I think you should first practice Ekpat, Duppat and Chaupat to get hold of Laya

And then you should implement this Ekpat, Duppat and Chauppat in Taal from different beats of Taal. This will help you to discover each beat of Taal and then you may find it easy to sing in Taal.

Also, this learning process will take some time

Here is detail article
http://vishwamohini.com/music/music.php?id=474

Also refer this article "How to practice singing Bada Khyal in Vilambit Ektaal". Same technique is useful for any song.
http://vishwamohini.com/music/music.php?id=210
Sanjeeb

Reply with quote  #4 
Try counting the beats of tals at a steady pace. Then apply with common songs you hear. This process might help.
pallavisree

Reply with quote  #5 
Hello. each taal will have a sam, thali and a khali. These are the important parts of the taal. "sam" is the first and most important beat in a thaal"thali" means to clap in hindi and "khali" is empty beat or not so stressed beat. you need to memorize these parts in each thaal. and also the teka. Each taal will have a teka. For example: teental is 16 beats and the teka is dha dhin dhin dha, dha dhin dhin dha, dha thin thin tha, tha dhin dhin dha. sam is on the first beat, second thali is on fifth beat, khali is on 9th beat, and third thali is on 13th beat. ekthal is 12 beats and the teka is dhin dhin dhage thirakita thu na katha dhage thirakita dhina. sam is on the first beat, khali is on 3 and 7 beats, 2nd thali is on 5th beat, 3rd thali is on 9th beat and 4th thali is on 11th beat, jhapthal is 10 beats and the teka is dhi na dhi dhi na thi na dhi dhi na, khali is on 6th beat, sam is on first beat, second thali is on third beat, third thali is on 8th beat, rupakthal is 7 beats and the teka is tin tin na dhin na dhin na, sam and khali fall on the sam beat, second thali falls on the fourth beat and third thali falls on the 6th beat, keherwa is 8 beats and the teka is dha ge na thi na ka dhi na and khali falls on the fifth beat, sam is on the first beat, and dadra is a six beat taal, sam is on the first beat, and khali is on the 4th beat. You need to find a guru to help you learn all these common taals so that you can get a better grip on it. The only way is to memorize all the tekas and the parts of taals, and the finger counts and and to practice practice practice and memorize all of this information either with a live person who plays tabla or a tabla machine or nowadays you can get tabla apps to help you with this. A good one to get is itablapro. i use this one myself with my practice. it really helps. I hope that this is helpful.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.