INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
xakebuel

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi friends. I have the opportunity of adquiring a old sindhi sarangi. This one have not skin yet and the first I will do is carrying it to a luthier with experiencie in this things. But shindi sarangi is diferent because of it have a little part of the top of the sound box within skin. Could anybody tell me how they make it possible? Is it possible that tese kind of sarangis have a traverse bar of metal sustaining the sking there thought?They cut it after put it? I don know...
Here a sample:
http://iicdelhi.nic.in/iic2008/images/mainPic12.jpg
thanks.
peeceebee

Reply with quote  #2 
I would cut the skin after it has been glued and dried. I doubt there is any support under the skin, it wouldn't be necessary.
naad_brahma

Reply with quote  #3 
None of mine have an internal support or metal bracket. They also do not have an extra belt of skin. Skin it as usually and use a bicycle inner tube to do so as it will help you get a good grip on the skin. Don't pick too thick of a skin, they are under tension but its a small surface area and they can handle a slight thinner skin compared to classical sarangi.
Are you aware of how to string them and set them up? They are not even remotely close to classical sarangi. I used to play classical sarangi but after some time with Lakha Khan and Sakar Khan I'm obsessed with sindhi sarangi and kamaicha.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.