INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Sign up Calendar Latest Topics Chat
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
LudwigplaysLudwig

Member
Registered:
Posts: 39
Reply with quote  #1 
hello forum members,

during my practice sessions I came across the following problem.

If I play a phrase like "ghena dhati dhadha thunna" it's hard for me to play a clear "thunna" when the tempo is fast.
For example thinking in eight notes I can play the "ghena dhati dhadha" at a speed of 200 in a relaxed manner but the "thunna" is clear and relaxed only at 120.

Do you have any suggestions how to speed up with this phrase and still maintaining clearness of the bol?

Max
0
pbercker

Registered:
Posts: 1,451
Reply with quote  #2 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "LudwigplaysLudwig"
hello forum members,

during my practice sessions I came across the following problem.

If I play a phrase like "ghena dhati dhadha thunna" it's hard for me to play a clear "thunna" when the tempo is fast.
For example thinking in eight notes I can play the "ghena dhati dhadha" at a speed of 200 in a relaxed manner but the "thunna" is clear and relaxed only at 120.

Do you have any suggestions how to speed up with this phrase and still maintaining clearness of the bol?

Max
I myself do not feel qualified to give playing advice, but is there any way for you to either make a short sound clip - or ideally a short video clip - of what you are able to do and not so easily able to do? I suspect that those who are qualified might more easily diagnose where, or what the problem might be.

I am curious about one thing however, namely the speed: when you say you can play "ghena dhati dhadha" at a speed of 200, do I understand correctly that this translates to 600 beats per minute where I count "dhadha" as one beat?



pb

__________________
My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
0
TablaBeatz

Registered:
Posts: 342
Reply with quote  #3 
Unfortunately with things like this -
If you have the right technique - there is no magic formula - apart from Practice!

With a million (or a lot of) repetition - you will find your movements from thun to Na more natural and won't even notice it!

__________________
"The beginning of life is rhythm. When you’re in the womb your mother’s heart is beating at (about 90) decibels ... we were born of vibration 13.7 billion years ago with the explosion of the universe."
0
LudwigplaysLudwig

Member
Registered:
Posts: 39
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "pbercker"

I am curious about one thing however, namely the speed: when you say you can play "ghena dhati dhadha" at a speed of 200, do I understand correctly that this translates to 600 beats per minute where I count "dhadha" as one beat?



pb
Tempo 200 means that the metronome is set to 200bpm an I play two strokes per click.


max
0
pbercker

Registered:
Posts: 1,451
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "LudwigplaysLudwig"
Tempo 200 means that the metronome is set to 200bpm an I play two strokes per click.

max
Ok, that makes sense.

Another question: Do you ever practice DhaTi GeNe DheNe ... (where Dhe = Tu + Ge) ? ... if so, do you a similar problem regard maintaining speed and clarity?


pb

__________________
My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
0
LudwigplaysLudwig

Member
Registered:
Posts: 39
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "pbercker"
Another question: Do you ever practice DhaTi GeNe DheNe ... (where Dhe = Tu + Ge) ? ... if so, do you a similar problem regard maintaining speed and clarity?

Yes, I practiced that. This phrase seems to be easier for me regarding speed and clarity.

Max
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.