INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
dhatitdha

Reply with quote  #1 
I though to start thread on this topic to know what other techniques you use to count half beat.

I have explained here my technique which I learnt from my Guru and great Tabla maestro Pandit Mukesh Jadhav and recently posted an article on this topic on my website, please check link for more details and examples.

http://vishwamohini.com/music/music.php?id=387&tl=How-to-count-half-beat

To ease the explanation of half beat counting, lets take an example of Taal Roopak.

Lets assume you are reciting or playing Roopak Taal with single speed followed by double speed.
Single speed : 1 Avartan [ Cycle] of Roopak
Double speed : 2 Avartan [ Cycles ] of Roopak as shown below [ 3.5 + 3.5 = 7 ]

[melody start]
[1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7][lyrics]
[Tin | Tin | Na | Dhin | Na | Dhin | Na][tabla]
[TinTin | NaDhin | NaDhin | NaTin | TinNa | DhinNa | DhinNa][tabla]
[melody end]

Now, lets assume you want to play Roopak Taal in double speed only once. It means you should start after 3.5 beats.
So you need to play 3 beats i.e. Tin Tin Na and then count 1/2 [ 0.5 ] beat and play Roopak taal in double speed only once to reach on Sum.

Ok, so counting 3 beats is easy, but how to count that 1/2 beat ?

So lets, simplify those last 3.5 beats.

After playing first 3 beats, you have 1/2 + 3.5 beats which means you have 4 beats remaining.
In those four beats you can play 8 syllables in double speed, so lets add one more syllable "Kat" along with Roopak, then it looks like this.

Recommended tempo : 80 BPM
[melody start]
[Ti | Ti | Na | Dhi | Na | Dhi | Na][lyrics]
[Tin | Tin | Na | KatTin | TinNa | DhinNa | DhinNa][tabla]
[melody end]

In the starting you can pronounce or play "Kat" syllable loudly, to get hold of that half beat.
Once you are comfortable, you can slowly practice counting "Kat" in mind without pronouncing and playing.

I personally feel very comfortable with "Kat" syllable to count half beat, you can choose any other syllable you are comfortable with.

Without "Kat" it goes like this
[melody start]
[Ti | Ti | Na | Dhi | Na | Dhi | Na][lyrics]
[Tin | Tin | Na | -Tin | TinNa | DhinNa | DhinNa][tabla]
[melody end]

Here is one of my video, where I have used this technique frequently while accompanying the Marathi Song based on Taal Roopak.
Infact, it is not good idea to play such type of variety frequently while accompanying, but sometimes you fail to ignore your temptation :-)

ktheisen

Reply with quote  #2 
I really like this! I appreciate you sharing this idea. I think it will help me a lot when I jam with other musicians too that don't know anything outside 4/4.

-Kelley
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.