INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
barend

Reply with quote  #1 
When practicing the same fast meend from the same fret over and over you get this fret scraping after some time. Very annoying. Usually I put a (very) little bit oil on the 'pain point' of the fret. That helps for a little while but not very long. Sometimes I use steel wool but usually that also doesn't last very long either.

Is there a way to avoid this fret scraping? and what is the best way to 'repair' the scraped fret besides the use of steel wool? 
Jeff Lewis

Reply with quote  #2 
Keep your strings and frets clean!  Wipe them thoroughly after EVERY time you play. If they start scraping again, use your finger on the fret before as well as the fret that you are playing on. If you are using oil, it's the oil solidifying that's making the noise... 

Hope this helps!

Jeff Lewis

Reply with quote  #3 
P.S. When was the last time you changed string?  Make sure that the underside of the string feels o.k. where it is scraping.

Nick Proctor

Reply with quote  #4 
I use a fine sandpaper carefully wiping, on mine. Good idea to check your string too.
Nick
barend

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lewis
Keep your strings and frets clean!  Wipe them thoroughly after EVERY time you play. If they start scraping again, use your finger on the fret before as well as the fret that you are playing on. If you are using oil, it's the oil solidifying that's making the noise... 

Hope this helps!

Ok thanks for your suggestions. Yes I wipe of the strings each time I play. The string doesn't feel rough underneath. And I am not using very much oil.

You mean using your fingers to wipe of the fret before and the one you are playing?
Jeff Lewis

Reply with quote  #6 
Yes, that's correct!  Should work if you get all the solidified oil off.
Jeff Lewis

Reply with quote  #7 
...and it doesn't matter whether you use oil or not, your body naturally produces oil that remains on the string, which is why you need to wipe EVERY time you play.
rex

Reply with quote  #8 
There’s also the old trick of polishing the frets with Turtle Wax, which works amazingly well.
barend

Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rex
There’s also the old trick of polishing the frets with Turtle Wax, which works amazingly well.

You mean the car wax? any specific one or are all Turtle Waxes the same?

I have this one. Is that more or less the same as that Turtle Wax?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/HG-168030106-Steel-Polish/dp/B000IU3VXK
rex

Reply with quote  #10 
I’m not exactly sure, but a former forum member recommended Turtle Wax about 10 years now and it has worked amazingly well. I’m not sure what it’s composition is but it’s a kind of waxy substance that you smear on with a cloth.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.