INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Bakersbites786

Reply with quote  #1 
Just wondering how often should strings be changed. I'm finding that Roslau tarab strings, which I changed a few months back are getting slightly rusty. Is there anything to prevent this? Excuse the grammer.
nicneufeld

Reply with quote  #2 
Not often enough!

My tarabs, I hate to say, I haven't changed on my sitar since getting it in Feb 2011. And they still ring out quite nicely, and haven't noticed any corrosion. Main string I've replaced a few times, jor a few times. Generally when I just feel like its time, or when/if it breaks!

Did all the tarab on my surbahar a few weeks back, that was a goodish bit of work.
cwroyds

Reply with quote  #3 
Your Baj and Jor strings should be changed more often than the rest, but you can extend the life of your strings with a good cleaning.
You can use metal polish, or you can just wrap a small bit of fine steel wool around a string and run it up and down the length of the string.
This cleans off all the rust/dirt and makes the strings sharp sounding again.

I try to get rolls of string for the Ma (Baj) so I can change it often, but the others tend to stay for the while.
I dont change the Sympathetic strings often as it is a big chore, but you should do it a few times a year.

There was a thread earlier where Josh Feinberg wrote a pretty comprehensive view of changing strings.
http://forums.chandrakantha.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8685&p=52298#p52298
It goes as follows:

by Joshua Feinberg
OM GUY

Reply with quote  #4 
Your Baj and Jor strings should be changed more often than the rest, but you can extend the life of your strings with a good cleaning.
You can use metal polish, or you can just wrap a small bit of fine steel wool around a string and run it up and down the length of the string.

royds, you got it right and spot on. I've mentioned countless times that I shroud all of my sitars while not playing them. I use oil on my fingers that spreads to the frets as well as the strings.

How you store your strings, coils, etc., also play a part in how you rig them on the sitar, prior to playing. Just because they are in plastic bags or waxed slip-envelopes don't assume they are tarnish free. I use metal polish just before installing my strings and you'd be surprised how much tarnish is present on new strings, Pyramids included.

Over a year ago I received some special paper from a friend that absorbs tons of moisture inside plastic bags. Each set and each coil was wrapped in this paper, and held together with gum-rubber bands. Within a few weeks, the rubber bands had all but dried out and broken. So that tells me the paper works.

However, wiping the strings down after every session immediately--- is the ounce of prevention that is worth the pound of cure.

Since I have plenty of sitars and spread the usage around between them, I don't have to change strings often. If I had only one girl, I guess I'd change the mains ( 1- 4) more often, like 2 times per year or so. But, I'm not really all that hard on them anyway. :wink:

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.