INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
aldog6

Reply with quote  #1 
Greetings,
I have been browsing the internet and tried to look up how to play a Tabla Solo. I think this is one of the things that cannot be exactly taught. I might be mistaken, I am only a beginner. I was wondering what you guys think about how to perform a tabla solo in teentaal. I look forward to hearing your thoughts and opinions.

Thanks!
dinegine

Reply with quote  #2 
It's like asking ' how do you write a book'?

If you are learning to spell, should you be thinking about writing a book?

Depends what stage you are at, but the traditional route would be through close and careful consultation with ones teacher. You need very specific guidance to complete the process of putting together a solo and a deep understanding of all the required components.
A short solo can be a collection of taught material, but a solo consists of an aesthetic awareness of how these work together and that takes consultation with someone who has been through that process.
There are some established formats including Peshkar, Kayida, Rela, Gat and Tukra.
But this doesn't tell half the story. What these subjects consist of, is each a subject in itself.
Conceptually you can start the process of understanding what it entails but it takes significant practice, training and experience to materialise a tabla solo.
aldog6

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "dinegine"
It's like asking ' how do you write a book'?

If you are learning to spell, should you be thinking about writing a book?

Depends what stage you are at, but the traditional route would be through close and careful consultation with ones teacher. You need very specific guidance to complete the process of putting together a solo and a deep understanding of all the required components.
A short solo can be a collection of taught material, but a solo consists of an aesthetic awareness of how these work together and that takes consultation with someone who has been through that process.
There are some established formats including Peshkar, Kayida, Rela, Gat and Tukra.
But this doesn't tell half the story. What these subjects consist of, is each a subject in itself.
Conceptually you can start the process of understanding what it entails but it takes significant practice, training and experience to materialise a tabla solo.

Interesting!

I understand that playing a tabla solo is a very difficult process and I will take your advice on asking my teacher. I also understand that there are various different components to a tabla solo as you explained (Peshkar, Kayida, Rela, Gat, Turka, etc.). I know that you cannot just play a kaida and then just straight away move on to a rela. There has to be some flow throughout the performance. I would like to know how you would format the solo. For example which would you play first the Peshkar, etc. and then what would come after it. The flow itself is up to the performer alone and this is, i think, what makes the soloist unique from others.

Thanks for the response and I hope you can help!
taaliyan

Reply with quote  #4 
The best prep for a solo concert would be through your teacher who would prep you based on current progress and would set up a performance tailored to your strengths.
However, to address your original question a good source would be to read relevant sections from the ebook below
[color=#0000BF]The Dawn of Indian Music in the West - Page 37
books.google.com/books?isbn=0826418155
Author - Peter Lavezzoli
[/color]
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.