INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
nicneufeld

Reply with quote  #16 
I don't know if anyone else, like me, struggles with the occasional urge to branch off of sitar and explore the other instruments. It's rather a destructive instinct (branching to a new instrument instead of pursuing proper mastery of the main instrument), but every now and again I fall prey to such temptation...the sonorous tones of the sarangi, or the dilruba... I don't really count my surbaharian ambitions in this category, though, as that is more a logical extension and has been a long term goal from the start.

Realizing I've branched off topic, I'll bring it back around...my initial reply was perhaps too specific to the questions and not general enough on my history. When I was a teenager, oh these many years ago in the late 90s, I went through a thorough Beatlesian phase. Read all about their history. I think my initial exposure to Indian music, not counting George's stuff, was through watching a VHS copy from the library of the "Raga" documentary. It may have been a slightly different documentary though, because when I watched it again it seemed different, but close. I vividly remember the segment with Raviji and Yehudi Menuhin "sparring" as it were on Piloo, and I went out and bought East Meets West. At one point I was pretty interested, around 2000, 2001. I wanted to drive my very crappy car to Indiana or some place like that to see Pt. Ravi Shankar play...my parents talked sense into me and I didn't go. I recall at one point I wanted to save $400 to either buy a sitar (from Buckingham Music) or a Leslie rotating cabinet. Didn't buy either at the time.

10 years of latent interest passed, and I attend a workshop locally that just introduced the basics, really, but the seed was planted, a sitar purchased, and the obsession began!
TCPerez

Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "psirotta"
I am a beginning student. I live in Mississippi, USA. There are no teachers anywhere around here, so I take lessons on line. My teacher is Pandit Sanjoy Bandopadhyay, of Kolkata. His playing is wonderful, by the way, if you are unfamiliar.

Lessons are over Skype, once a week. I have now had ten lessons. I have just begun practicing the Raag Bhupali Bandish.

I purchased my students' instrument many years ago but did not want to acquire bad playing habits, so it stayed in its case until now.

Like others posting here I was drawn to the sound of the sitar at a young age. I have harbored a secret wish to play sitar for my own enjoyment for most of my life, but like so many secret wishes the demands of life forced it into the background. I am less burdened lately, nearing the age of retirement, so I am letting my creative urges loose at last. I am by no means a musician except for amateurish guitar playing, so this is a new venture indeed. I believe for an old guy I am progressing quite well.

If only I could figure out how to sit in the Lotus without my feet falling asleep...
I've been trying to find a local teacher... and haven't gotten much of anywhere
Could you give me your teachers contact info? Thanks
mayer141

Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "OM
I'm interested on how you first learned the sitar.

How many years are you into it now?

What country are you in and is it difficult to find a teacher where you are?

Did you first learn from a teacher, by yourself, a DVD, or from a CD or some other media?

If you had a number of personal lessons and then had no teacher, were you able to make progress on your own, or just reach a plateau?
20 years

I mainly learnt in london but go to Calcutta quite often. There are lots of good plays in the UK

I first learnt from Clem Alford then Wajahat Khan and finally Subroto Roy Chowdury

I think it's essential to have a personal tutor.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.