INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
dcriss

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello all,
I bought a sitar 7 years ago and began teaching myself as there no teachers anywhere near where I live. A year later I had a serious accident and became partially paralyzed from the waist down. So, I put the sitar away for a long while and am now beginning to pick it up again. The problem is how to hold the sitar as I can't sit in a lotus position anymore. I sit on the couch and hold the sitar beside me, but this is awkward. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Don
theprosperone

Reply with quote  #2 
Get a tabla ring to sit on the floor or wherever and use this to sit your toomba on. You can add non-slip material on the tabla ring so your sitar will stay put instead of sliding around. I've seen a dear friend use the same setup with great success. He uses that little non-slip foam covering used on desktops and tables. Hope this helps.
nicneufeld

Reply with quote  #3 
Tabla ring is a great idea!

For less valid reasons than yours (I've just never been very limber!) I find the traditional position painful to stay in for very long, so while I'm trying to force myself to slowly gain the requisite flexibility, I still sometimes do a bit of cheating to allow myself to play the instrument longer...that would be the classic yoga position, "Guy Sits on Sofa". Probably depends on the couch, but my tumba (all wood studio model, not a gourd) slips around very little and its quite comfortable for practice.
Hamletsghost

Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks for the kudo's Mark

dcriss - as prosperone says I use a ring covered with the blue foam shelf liner, held on by that heavy black Japanese twine. Does not leave residue and holds in place anywhere. Holds great on carpeting as well as smoothe surfaces. As nicneufeld says my problem is not as serious as yours either. I have pretty bad arthritis in my spine and right hip, and cannot get into position anymore. That being said my ring works GREAT even for performance. I played for 2 hours at a large banquet 2 weeks ago. I sat on a piano bench - covered my lap with a nice shawl with my sitar in Da Ring and noodled away. No one thought anything about it & no one even asked.(w/b buying my own folding bench soon for da road - that way I never have to worry where I'll sit again).
You can even make your own ring - take some long pieces of flannel or other heavy cloth. Rollit to about 2-3 inches in diameter and use enough to make it around an 8 inch outside diameter ring by overlapping the ends. Tie off ends with black twine. Cover with the blue (or grey) foamy shelf liner & weave lengths of heavy waxed black twine thru the mesh in about 6-8 places. tie them off tight without deforming the ring. You can now have a symetrical ring or an oval (oval works best for me).
Sit - Play - Enjoy
Hey if Panditji can sit on a bench & still play to adoring crowds at 90 why can't we? :roll:
Not that my amateurish noodlings will ever sound like even an echo of the Great one

Hamletsghost 8)

Reply with quote  #5 
Tony "sitarfixer" gave me the following cool way of making a sitar ring:

-- take a short piece of garden hose
-- use a dowel to connect the two ends of the garden hose
-- take a large beach towel, and cut a diagonal strip
-- wrap the garden hose with the beach towel.

I haven't tried it yet, because all my old garden hoses are stored away for the winter. But I hope to make one soon and try it out.

Stephen
OM GUY

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Stephen
Tony "sitarfixer" gave me the following cool way of making a sitar ring:

-- use a dowel to connect the two ends of the garden hose
-- take a large beach towel, and cut a diagonal strip
-- wrap the garden hose with the beach towel.

I haven't tried it yet, because all my old garden hoses are stored away for the winter. But I hope to make one soon and try it out.

Stephen
If it were me, I couldn't wait that long....I'd sneak into my neighbours yard, cut out the section, run back under cover of darkness, and 'VIOLA!"

Then, come morning, I'd ring him up and ask him if he has any doweling!

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "OM
I'd sneak into my neighbours yard, cut out the section, run back under cover of darkness, and 'VIOLA!"

But...but...but...I get along so well with my neighbors!

On the other hand, ever since I have been blasting them with ancient Beatles sitar songs run through a "Dream Flange" and a Fender Amp, those Georgia Rednecks have been looking askanse at me.

:roll:
lostandlau

Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Stephen

They sell clear rubber tubing by the foot at the hardware store in different diameters. You could get some of that if you don't feel like cutting up a hose.

S.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.