INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
AbdulLatif

Reply with quote  #1 
Well... this guy did try to find the right buzz words Naskar, Ravi Shankar, fiberglass case but the absolute closer to this deal has got to be the free "plucktor". Who needs pics!! and he has no negative feedback!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sitar-from-Naskar-Manufacture-Calcutta_W0QQitemZ7412399142QQcategoryZ623QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Reply with quote  #2 
I've just asked about pics as there aren't any on the ad.
No neg feedback probably because of it being his first maybe?

Nick
zennman

Reply with quote  #3 
I noticed the seller was from Southern India. When I went to try out sitars at a music shop in Chennai, they gave me the plectrum for a veena to try it with. I don't know how sitar is taught in South India, but I'll bet there is a lot of Carnatic influence. A variation of the Tamil word for plucking is sometimes used to lable the plectrum.. a literal translation of which would read a 'plucktor'. Of course, I am trying hard to make sense of the ad., it could very well just be a scam. And I doubt if digital cameras are common in India yet (especially among the working musician community).
AbdulLatif

Reply with quote  #4 
Bless you giys for being so charitable...he could be legit. The add looks very much like the scammer guitar and banjo listings. No pics, no feedback, requesting fast payment, listing a rare instrument while using incorrect language to describe things a "Pro" would know. I'm thinking a guy that could describe fiberglass might call a mizrab a mizrab. But what the hey I like your charitability and optimism. The banjo scammers learned that a pre-war Gibson flathead is worth big bucks and regularly try to run scams. If he sends any pics let me know, I'd like to find a nice vintage Naskar.
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.