INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
swansong_

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello everyone,

My good friend's father passed recently, he was very obsessed with Indian classical music. He left us some beauties that the family wants to sell asap to raise funds.  Looking for students or other enthusiasts in our community who would give these a good home (e.g. not in a collector's closet), before I try craigslist or ebay.  Photos are on google drive, contact me directly if you want more info, please pass it on!  The instruments are in Los Angeles (Woodland Hills), local sale preferred but willing to ship if no other choice.  The instruments were well-kept in cases in a smoke-free home, the former owner was a student of Aloke Dasgupta if you want to contact him for reference.

Hiren Roy lovely surbahar, not sure how old, 80-90s maybe? custom made giant yellow ATA flight case that never even traveled, so it's safe to ship but will be pretty costly. Overall excellent condition except two repaired cracks in the back of the neck one by the chikari peg and another by the upper dha fret between the pegs, very stable and looks like a pro repair job.  Asking $3.5k obo (flight case included, was $600+ new)

Barun Ray kharaj sitar, grape leaves full decoration carving with upper tumba and fiber case, few minor blemishes on the tabli and small shellac bubbling on the gulu carving (likely from the shop, no other heat-apparent damage anywhere) but plays very nicely, synthetic bridge has no wear.  Asking $1500 obo

Kanailal & sons dilruba with bow and fiber case, barely played, $600 obo.

"maharaj" sarangi ebay special with bow (has some broken hairs) and fiber case, unplayed, $150 obo

lemme know if anyone wants to make an offer on any of these, or the whole lot, happy to get more details!

-swansong
swansong@ucla.edu

Attached Images
jpeg HR Surbahar4.jpg (1.73 MB, 13 views)

swansong_

Reply with quote  #2 

have already had a few inquiries, thank you for your interest! Sharing the answer below to the most common question "how did it get cracked?" 

Sadly I couldn't find out ANY history or details of these instruments, so your guess is pretty much aligned with mine as far as the cracking.  Who would stand up such a stately instrument to let it fall is anyone's guess! Maybe a crappy prior case in transit, what a bummer that must have been. Clearly it was repaired well so as to be barely noticeable, and the prior owner cherished it.

swansong_

Reply with quote  #3 
Barun Roy sitar now sold.  Still taking offers on the surbahar, dilruba, and sarangi.  Contact me if you would like more info.
swansong_

Reply with quote  #4 
SURBAHAR UPDATE...  I just spoke on the phone with Ali Akbar Khan College of Music luthier/expert Wayne Moskow (aka the Doctor of Sarod), he filled me in on the history of this gorgeous vintage instrument. Wayne appraised it at $3000 in its current condition, and believes it was likely built in the late 60s or early 70s based on the ornate Swan head and gourd carving which is unique to this period, and so is the real deal by this esteemed maker.  He even thinks he saw it in his shop ~1974 when it first came to California, pretty amazing.  

He told me a fascinating story about why Hiren Roy surbahars are super rare and there are likely less than a dozen in existence as he did not make them often. He said he heard directly from Ali Akbar Khansahab himself that Roy had a bath on the roof of his home/shop, with wooden planks lining the walkway to the bath, which were destined to become instrument necks.  Apparently he wore wood-bottom sandals and walked along these planks daily, listening to their evolving sound as they seasoned and waiting years for the wood to be "just right," and it was only every now and then that he was satisfied enough to choose wood to build a surbahar...  So this is a remarkable piece of history and a top quality instrument that should be played and appreciated.

Includes custom made giant ATA flight case that never traveled, always been kept safe and sound indoors. 
more detailed photos here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1vggM9etnGCXcE4tJq2xGFEmqGuJar8Og?usp=sharing

Still asking $3000 obo (mint ATA flight case included, was $600+ new), reasonable offers considered, prefer local sale but willing to ship if necessary, will be very expensive.  Wayne said he was fine with mentioning his name publicly to vouch for the quality of this instrument, though of course you are welcome to visit and hear it in person!  =)

thanks everyone,

-Emmanuel (swansong)
swansong @ ucla.edu
Los Angeles, CA
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.