INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
sitardoc

Reply with quote  #1 
halloo all-
take a look at item #320177554704. no maker label, boring run-of-the-mill tabli carving, PLASTIC adjuster beads (YUUUUUUUUKKKKKKK!!!!!!!)-even the bottom gourd overlay carving looks wrong. i don't claim to be any kind of expert on HR's, but a simple camparison w/what aacm is currently peddling raised more than a few eyebrows here.
peace
-the doc
povster

Reply with quote  #2 
Don;t look like a Hiren Roy to me. And to make it even nicer, they copied our Jason's ad description word for word.

Compare that ebay listing to Jason's completed listsing - his is ebay # 140168259688 if my link doesn't work.
I'm reporting this one to ebay.

Link to Jason's is

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hiren-Roy-Top-of-the-Line-Fully-Carved-Sitar_W0QQitemZ140168259688QQihZ004QQcategoryZ623QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The idiot even includes Jason's "Shipping cost is an estimate based on the cost I paid to have a sitar shipped recently and includes insurance. "

cwroyds

Reply with quote  #3 
Yeah I have to concur.
That is not a Hiren Roy.

The pictures are crap but judging by the looks of the pics:

1) Pegs seem wrong. Hiren Roy pegs seem to curl out more at the ends of the leaves, and these are just not the right shape generally. The buds look too closed. Plus the sympathetic pegs dont look right either. They seem like really cheap ones.

2) The Gullu seems messy too. The gourd stain is sloppy and covers parts of the gullu carving. Plus the carving is suspect.

3) I doesnt look like it ever had a makers badge on the neck. Hiren Roy isnt spending the time making a sitar that goes out without a badge.

4) The penwork is crap.

Judgement: Its CRAP.

I call BS on this one.
It just aint a Hiren Roy.
It is willful fraud by the seller.
sitardoc

Reply with quote  #4 
i sent the schmuck seller a note. maybe he doesn't know what he's doing. he's also added the SAME text to his ebay posting. reading it once was enough. oy.
-the doc
SitarMac

Reply with quote  #5 
I sent a fraud note to ebay. What a joke...

Reply with quote  #6 
I reported it to ebay as using my text without permission and as not appearing genuine. I wouldn't mind a little cut and paste if the sitar appeared genuine, and I certainly echoed some of the info on the AAK and Sitars Etc. web descriptions of Hiren Roy when creating my ad, but I mean really -- red and black penwork is distinctive to Hiren Roy? :roll: I'm glad you all spotted and reported this -- I hope it saves someone from being ripped off.
BobK

Reply with quote  #7 
When I first saw this HR posting, I noticed that the first half of the description was both familiar and well written, but then the spelling fell apart once the seller was describing the case. I also noticed that he described the brown HR penwork, but that the penwork in the pictures is blue and red. I sent him a note asking if it was the description or the pictures that was wrong. He then went on to change the description of the penwork by just inserting "red and black" into his original (which in his e-mail he called his "template.") Based on his e-mail I think this is a case of stupidity and not attempted fraud. Nonethless, it's good that you took some action. Hopefully his add will be pulled by eBay. Bob
SitarMac

Reply with quote  #8 
I received this this morning--

Thank you for writing eBay in regard to your concern about the listing
number 320177554704 that has been listed incorrectly.

I appreciate you for bringing this to our notice and kindly note that
valued members like you are an asset to our eBay community. I request
you to kindly co-operate with us as we work to take the necessary
action.

Although I can't eliminate the inconvenience of the situation, After
reviewing the item listing page for item number 9740748219, I would
like to inform you that the item is removed by eBay.

Please be informed that when eBay removes a listing from the site, we
inform all active bidders that the transaction is null and void.

There are various reasons why an item may be removed from the eBay site,
and the circumstance should not be used as a basis to call into question
the seller's standing in the community. Due to the eBay Privacy Policy,
however, we are unable to comment on the specific reason any listing in
question was removed.

If you would like to know why eBay might remove an item listing, please
review the pages below:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/community/png-text-and-images.html

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-ov.html

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/item_allowed.html

It is my pleasure to assist you. Thank you for choosing eBay.

Sincerely,
Patricia D.

eBay Customer Support

Reply with quote  #9 
i too think this is stupidity at its' worst. when i first saw this and posted to the sitar forum, i was quite surprised that no one else had gotten there before me. i'm glad the poor fool who bid on it won't end up with an ornate dust-catcher. and i thank you all for the support. as i said-i'm no expert on HR sitars. Rikhi Ram-now that's another matter. you couldn't pry mine out of my cold, dead fingers.
peace to you all.
-the doc
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #10 
MISSED THIS.

Did anyone save the pics from Ebay?????

Nick
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.