INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
mahadev

Reply with quote  #1 
Ok, just a short random sample, very rough mix and compressed to 32 kb, the net is so slow I will be lucky if I can upload this at at all, I am at 3000 m connecting with a USB stick , when the clouds move in the connection goes down...

best regards to everyone

http://www.2shared.com/audio/0KqC6vvE/Audio_0001.html

Reply with quote  #2 
Wonderful Max,

Even from this limited clip it seems your new project will be a triumph.
I close my eyes and I am spiritually transported to your side in the timelesness of those mountains. Their voice is only made more beautiful by adding your own.
How lucky we all are to have your efforts produce such magical fruit.
Can't wait to hear the final product.

Well Done
Be careful up there and try to keep warm.

Brian

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks Brian,

your words warm my frozen bones....

To be honest, this is not the best recording, I have better ones but I have to find them first, I have several hard drives full of stuff and I have to sort out all this material. The echo is not really what I was looking for, the location was at about 4000 m right under the massive Dhauladhar range. These mountains are the first barrier for the monsoon clouds and I only realized how broken and weathered the rock is when I got there. This kind of uneven surface produces a rather diffuse echo . However, the location did produce echos of long duration resulting in an incredible sustain, I have recordings where you can hear that, will post some better samples soon.

What's it like sitting up in these majestic mountains with a huge sound system and hearing the voice of the Himalayas ? Hard to describe, peak experience is the word, quite literally. If had to chose between this project and a ride on the Shuttle I would toss a coin, really.
But it comes at a price. This was the 4th expedition and every time I had to dig really deep. Working at high altitude is exhausting and moving all the gear on horse back and with porters is quite a task. My worst enemy has always been the cold. Sitting in a tent with temperatures around the freezing point is not ideal for playing sitar. How on earth did I do this ?
Well, when you make an effort of this kind and you finally get there you just have to get it done no matter how cold or exhausted you feel. And time is limited, supplies only last until they run out and when the batteries go dead it's all over. I have to run the entire amp and recording gear off truck batteries, a generator is out of the question because of weight and noise.
This time I took a huge gamble, I got snowed in and had to make a decision , abandon the project and leave the mountain while I still could or trust my luck and stay. Well , I did stay and it did not snow again.
Had there been more snow I would not have survived, I would have run out of fuel and that would have been it
I kept the video camera running all the time, will post the stuff on my website soon.

Was this expedition a success ? Uh...yes. I got some recordings but more important is the experience I gathered. Next time (soon !) I know exactly what I have to do, what equipment to use and how to go about it all. Also I know where to go now, a location at about 5800 m is the next venue. First I need to raise cash, this project eats money like you would not believe. I am up to my neck in debt at the moment but who cares ? Devil may care....

Warm regards from a very cold place...

Reply with quote  #4 
One more thing, and this should really have come first.
There are some people on this forum who have helped this project along in various ways. You know who you are, BIG THANKS !
Especially Carleton and Lars, I am truly grateful for your moral and material support .
I also have to thank two people who are not on this forum , Peter Freedman and Scott Emerton of RODE Microphones in Sydney , Australia.
They provided me with some really great gear, especially their shotgun mic , the NGT 3 , what a fantastic microphone.
Again, big thanks !

Reply with quote  #5 
Im just happy you made it through.
Must have been a great adventure.
Cant wait to see the video and hear the new audio.
It is nice to be able to live vicariously through your adventures.
Lars

Reply with quote  #6 
Max are you headed off the mountain now? I'll give you a call, we can meet in Delhi maybe very soon? Email me....

Lars

Rain City Music

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.