INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
wilsaxo

Reply with quote  #1 
I just found this on craigslist. Have fun! Perhaps there are photos the seller can share. http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/msg/700912386.html

David
daz199

Reply with quote  #2 
they might sell Gibson Stratocasters as well...
cwroyds

Reply with quote  #3 
Actually, I think that "Roy" is the family surname.
I may be wrong but I seem to remember that Hemen Roy is his correct name.
BUT that does not mean that this is a Hemen sitar.
haldamos

Reply with quote  #4 
Roy is Hemen Sen's surname. Sen is a title that denotes respect.

From what I know, they make great sarods but mediocre sitars. I've played a few Hemen sitars and owned one, which was in fact quite mediocre. It was basically a rebadge job and Hemen himself only probably did the jawari. Pretty standard unless you are "somebody" and can get a better instrument.

Reply with quote  #5 
How coincidental. Just a few days ago I was having this discussion about Hemen's name, remembering from my first teacher in the 70's that he was Hemen Roy.

I owned two Hemen sitars. The first was a heavily decorated teak instrument previously owned by Gokul Nag. Very solid but I never could get a great sound from it. It gave me good jhalla though as you really had to pound it to get a decent chicari sound. I sold it about 30 years ago. Wish I knew then what I know now. If I ever find it again I'd love to take it on. I also owned a "#2" that was a beautiful instrument and served me well for many years.

I've also had the opportunity to play several Hemen's the past couple of years. I find them to be quite good sitars. They are probably the most consistently "easiest" sitars to play - by that I mean they have very smooth, almost silky action. This is the first time I have heard it suggested that Hemen's are rebadged. He most certainly makes instruments in his shop. I mean, we aren't talking G. Rosul here. (No disrespect to you, Haldamos!)

The AACM store is getting in a fresh shipment from Hemen sometime over the next month or so and I plan on hitting the store and checking them out. I want a better instrument for my "second sitar" than the Manoj 3 I recently got (a very nice little guy but I ended up wanting something higher end). If things go as I expect it will probably be a Hemen 2 or 1. We shall see.

Behroo

Reply with quote  #6 
I was gifted an old Hemen Sitar few weeks back, which has a black badge, missing were the main Antler Bridge, broken Top Tumba and only two main Tuning Pegs (the small Khuntis were all luckily in place)

The Owner's family wanted me to have this after they wanted to clear all his old stuff, as they were shifting to another place.

I came to know it was in their place since the early seventies (according to the eldest daughter in law)

Now my query firstly is how do I know which year this Sitar was made?

Secondly White Label indicated what type compared to the Black Badge?

Clarification would be appreciated. Thank you.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.