INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #16 
John
If it's not for a couple of weekends that'll be best cos I should have my Rudra Veena by then.
Great if you HAVE sold the surbee.

Nick
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #17 
RIGHT!!!
I'm about to start putting ads up for these soon on various internet market places so if anyone here is at all interested in any of them, please let me know now if not sooner!!!!
Make an offer. I can only burst into mad insane laughter!!

Nick
nicneufeld

Reply with quote  #18 
Question for the both of you lads, since if I recall correctly, you both are either current or former owners of 8-string surbees...

The 8-string surb really catches my fancy since I've really started to enjoy the sound of the gandhar chikari on my newly GP'ed sitar. In some ways that simple root-fifth chik stroke almost sounds a bit bland at times, so I'm allured by the idea of a surb with a Ga chikari.

I asked Ust. Imrat Khan about 8 string surbahars, and if I recall he said that maybe his father (or grandfather?) played an 8 string surbahar, but they simplified it and went to 7 string. My question is, are there any good recordings of, say, a nice surb alap, on an 8stringer? I'd be interested to see how they sound. Do you find the string spacing cramped at all?
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #19 
Firstly HI!!!
Secondly...
I think an 8 stringer is slightly wider to account for this extra string as I've never had any problems. John's surbee is from me & was the first 8-er I ever got. Pretty sure Shujaat Khan plays one too. They DO have that bit more resonance.

My first 2 8-ers were from Rajesh Sharma who stays half his time in Varanasi & half in Patna, his home town. Unfortunately his father passed away earlier this year. He is a perfectionist. If he's not happy you don't get the instrument. He plays excellent sitar & so knows exactly how to 'tweak' them to get the best from them.

I have 2 more cheaper 8-ers awaiting me back in Varanasi & I intend to bring the best one back next time.

Nick
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.