INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 3 of 3      Prev   1   2   3
Sitar Fixer

Reply with quote  #31 
All well here. Sounds like life is treating you well and with frequency . Carry on ! ! !

drutgat

Reply with quote  #32 
Many thanks for this, Tony.

I understand most of what you describe, but find some parts of what you said to be confusing.

Maybe I just have to get down to it with a pencil and a string/wire and try this.

What did Panditji do for the other strings?

Thanks again,

Geert.

Sitar Fixer

Reply with quote  #33 
Raviji went with the single loop without the pigtail for all the other strings. That rather surprised me the way he leaned on the kharaj string. Of interest - for komal Re on the kharaj string, he would just press the string down between the two nut strips rather than use fret #1. I offered to install a suitable bass block to aid the cause but he dodged that option. 
Tomek Regulski

Reply with quote  #34 
Love that! That technique has been recommended to me to get a proper meend from kharaj sa, except to do it on the stretch of strip behind both nuts. In fact, one can manage a full sweep from sa to komal ga and back, which is... just wonderful[smile]
drutgat

Reply with quote  #35 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitar Fixer
Raviji went with the single loop without the pigtail for all the other strings. That rather surprised me the way he leaned on the kharaj string. Of interest - for komal Re on the kharaj string, he would just press the string down between the two nut strips rather than use fret #1. I offered to install a suitable bass block to aid the cause but he dodged that option. 

Thanks, Tony.

That is very interesting.

I think that I have noticed Raviji holding the string down like that in various videos of his concerts.

I was not close enough to the stage to notice him doing that on the two occasions that I saw him.
drutgat

Reply with quote  #36 
Since the conversation has included some discussion about bridges, and since we have Tony 'here' at the moment, I wanted to ask what the second, 'mini' nut/bridge is on the head of Nikhil Banerjee's sitar.

What is that mini-nut/bridge for? What does it do?

And I am looking at a photo now of a sixth peg on the head of N. Banerjee's sitar -there is a very clear photo of this on the front cover on 'The Genius of Pandit Nikhil Banerjee Sitar: Live Concert Series 3, Raag Rageshree'.

It looks like that peg is actually wedged in behind/under the strings just 'north' of the main nut; is this being used as a form of nut, too?
Sitar Fixer

Reply with quote  #37 
The few I've had my paws on had that block set up with a jawari surface like the main bridge. Overkill - my opinion. These blocks I set up extend 1/2" - 3/4" away from the original nut going closer to the bridge. This new departure point for that string means it is closer to fret #1 which also means the played note will be lower in pitch compared to a stock factory fresh nut. Result is the open string remains at low SA but the fretted note at fret #1 will now be in tune  and most likely with all the frets up to about fret 6 - 7. On the sitars I build, I incorporate this idea as a "Hoover Dam" nut. That has the main four strings set in a graduated curve. The intonation is greatly improved all the way up the neck. 
Sitar Fixer

Reply with quote  #38 
That extra peg creates an 8 stringer. Ma Sa Ga Low Sa remain the same. Steel string Pa  becomes Ga or Dha or as you like. The extra string becomes Ma Pa or your choice. Chikari  ( on the posts ) remains the same.
drutgat

Reply with quote  #39 
Quote:
The few I've had my paws on had that block set up with a jawari surface like the main bridge. Overkill - my opinion. These blocks I set up extend 1/2" - 3/4" away from the original nut going closer to the bridge. This new departure point for that string means it is closer to fret #1 which also means the played note will be lower in pitch compared to a stock factory fresh nut. Result is the open string remains at low SA but the fretted note at fret #1 will now be in tune  and most likely with all the frets up to about fret 6 - 7. On the sitars I build, I incorporate this idea as a "Hoover Dam" nut. That has the main four strings set in a graduated curve. The intonation is greatly improved all the way up the neck. 

That is very, very interesting.

Thanks, Tony.
drutgat

Reply with quote  #40 
Quote:
That extra peg creates an 8 stringer. Ma Sa Ga Low Sa remain the same. Steel string Pa  becomes Ga or Dha or as you like. The extra string becomes Ma Pa or your choice. Chikari  ( on the posts ) remains the same.

Incredible.

Thanks!
Sitar Fixer

Reply with quote  #41 
Error !   That's Ma, Sa, Pa / Ma, Low Sa for the main four strings.
drutgat

Reply with quote  #42 
Quote:
Error !   That's Ma, Sa, Pa / Ma, Low Sa for the main four strings.

Thanks for the correction, Tony.
barend

Reply with quote  #43 
Quote:

Besides that this extra bridge/nut can be used to make the bass strings more in tune I see it sometimes used to shorten the scale length of the sitar neck. I think this done to release some tension on the neck to be able to tune the sitar higher to D. Not sure if that is the reason? But I think there are two kinds of these extra nuts. One where all the strings run on it and one with only the bass strings touching the nut. Think they serve different purposes?
Sitar Fixer

Reply with quote  #44 
I doubt 1/2" +- would make any noticeable difference in neck tension. If such a block ran the total width of the neck then all the frets would have to be shifted toward the bridge. fret thread collisions with taraf pegs is guaranteed. 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.