INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
TablaPlayer22

Reply with quote  #1 
Hey Everyone,
Thank you for taking your time to read this.

I suppose the title says it all.

I need to learn to speak the kaidas with a metronome or lehra.

Thank you
s1owpoke

Reply with quote  #2 
There is so many variables in what you are asking so let me just tell you something that helped me a lot. Clap/Wave the teental theka until it is natural for you. Choose the kaida or whatever material you are practicing and be sure to use the same methods as for the theka. I also like to count with my right hand. You have 4 bars of 4 with your fingers which make it perfect for teental

I gained a better sense of time playing Lehra on harmonium in accompanying tabla practices for friends.

Hope this helps and if it didn't then you have someone who is wishing you well with your playing. Keep practicing and learning. It will come.

Peace bro

"Real music is not for wealth, not for honours or even the joys of the mind... but as a path for realization and salvation."
Ustad Ali Akbar Khan
TablaPlayer22

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks dude, I appreciate your thoughts
souvik-tabla

Reply with quote  #4 
hello there,

It is only possible if you recite properly with nice technique.

Tali-khali recitation is important. If you are practising toolong with metronome it will only make you devise-dependent. 8)

If you like you can take a one-to-one instruction on this issue particularly. I conduct online class at remarkably cheap tuition fees. Visit for details: https://sites.google.com/site/learningtabla/online-training-taalim

Home page: https://sites.google.com/site/learningtabla/

Best Wishes,

Souvik Datta

============================================
Souvik Datta
(Percussionist, Composer and Tabla Trainer)
0091-96745-27348 (Mobile)
Official Webpage: https://sites.google.com/site/learningtabla/
============================================
Quote:
Originally Posted by "TablaPlayer22"
Hey Everyone,
Thank you for taking your time to read this.

I suppose the title says it all.

I need to learn to speak the kaidas with a metronome or lehra.
Anyone in Central FLA area, wanna practice together, msg me.

Thank you
rajpuranik

Reply with quote  #5 
Hey Randy, good to see you online and still playing tabla!

The standard western metronome has limitations because it only set a tempo, it doesn't count a beat cycle - 16 or any other. You need software or an app like iLehra.com, a great app for the iPhone/iTouch that will play a 16-beat lehra repeatedly (only $20 I believe). Then you recite the theme so that it fits within one complete cycle. This will make the time value of individual bols apparent to you. I doubt that any beginner kaida will need more than one cycle just to recite the theme.

Since tabla bols don't have the benefit of western notation, the time value of individual bols is only apparent if you hear someone reciting the theme, or you can figure it out from the above technique. This is especially tricky if rests or pauses are present, since the time value of rests is rarely obvious.

In short, every beginner faces this problem, which is why you generally progress faster with a teacher.

Call me on Skype if you want to go through a particular kaida with me some time!

Take care,

Raj

hbajpai

Reply with quote  #6 
I tend to agree with Raj's comments above.

Personally, I only found the metronome to be useful for the strengthening exercises of TiTe and TiraKit primarily. A little bit for DhirDhirKitak - maybe. Once you introduce resonance into the mix, the metronome goes off line for me.

The lehra device comes with a metronome and I never use it on the device either.

I recommend the Lehra device or the iPhone app. I have herd great reviews about the app and I have seen it in person. I think it will put the lehra device manufacturers out of business :-).

Cant wait for an app on the Android platform.
s1owpoke

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "hbajpai"

Cant wait for an app on the Android platform.
I just noticed that Android has a tabla/lehra/tanpura software called Ishala. It looks like the price is $20 but have not read any good reviews.

"Real music is not for wealth, not for honours or even the joys of the mind... but as a path for realization and salvation."
Ustad Ali Akbar Khan
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.