INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Shaun

Reply with quote  #1 
Namaste Everybody,

Can anyone suggest a possible maker of this sitar?

It has red and black penwork, the tumbi is very flat compared to most sitars I've seen, and the varnish is a dark red-brown colour which looks quite aged. I don't think the bridges, targahan or meru are the original parts. The exposed wood is coarse grained and dark red, looks similar to mahogany. I'd guess it's Tun but I'm no expert.

Some pictures here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredir?uname=110162431579890099115&target=ALBUM&id=5522368107761160065&authkey=Gv1sRgCPWS2on926KYKg&feat=content_notification

Ignore the extra brown tuning beads, these are an experiment

It was bought in Delhi about 15 years ago by a guy who intended to learn to play but never got around to it and it spent 5 years as an ornament and a further ten in an attic until I bought it a few weeks ago. It's slowly coming back to life and seems to be a better instrument than I was expecting so I'm fascinated to know what it might be. It shows signs of having been extensively played at some time in its past.

Thanks if anybody can help, can post more info or pictures if needed....

Reply with quote  #2 
Generic sitar, may have come from Calcutta, Lal Bazaar, third backstreet left after the panshop...
Maker impossible to identify, serial mass production...however. Could be a nice sitar for practice , or more with the right setup. These kind of sitars are sometimes quite good but it's a bit hit and miss but this one looks ok. Not all that is gold glitters.

Reply with quote  #3 
This kind of sitar looks to me like an 'upgraded' Lucknow Cheapie.
Normally a Lucknow Sitar is very plain, as the back is. The front usually just has the Munda style swirl carving like the 'gayaki' style players use but not a well carved. This, however, has a more complicated front, better pic of this please???
The pegs are def cheapies!

Nick
Shaun

Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks guys, have added a few more pictures with more detail of carving (have changed the main bridge since previous pictures)

The pegs do appear very cheap and nasty and are probably the worst feature of it I've discovered so far, full sets of replacements for all strings would however almost cost me more than the sitar did! (even cheap pegs from ebay)

I'm trying to decide whether it's worth spending much time and money fixing this up further. I got it cheap and wasn't expecting much but it sounds and plays surprisingly well (in my novice opinion) and the intonation is perfect - I've tuned it to several different Raags with no problems.

The Delhi shop which sold it to its previous owner apparently claimed it was new although it obviously wasnt (ruts in top of neck from strings, fret wear, etc). Some of the parts are clearly not original and of varying quality, I'm wondering if it might have been made up from spare parts, hence the claim it was "new" and the inconsistencies?

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.