INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
theprosperone

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello,

I am writing to ask a question I hope someone can help me with. I have forgotten the name of the taal used to play this song, therefore I can't find a tabla sample or anything to play this piece with to practice. I believe it is a 6 beat taal but not Dadra, it is a light classical or folk taal I believe...? Can anyone help me figure out the taal and possible find a sample to play along with? The taal in question is in this video:

I don't not have the name for the taal but the bols I have are

Dha Tin Na Ta Dhin Na

Thanks for any help.
Terry1234

Reply with quote  #2 
It's Dadra, with slight variations.
theprosperone

Reply with quote  #3 
Are you sure about that? Are there any 6 beat folk taals or light classical taals that are different? It doesn't sound like any dadra I've heard with classical sitar.
sohummusicals

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "theprosperone"
Are you sure about that? Are there any 6 beat folk taals or light classical taals that are different? It doesn't sound like any dadra I've heard with classical sitar.
Its Dadra Laggi (Variation). It is 6 beats but has different bols, thats what laggi is all about.
Sounds sweet and entertaining, Depends totally on the Ability of the Player, how well he plays it.

-U
theprosperone

Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks for the replies guys. I guess I'll just have to find a tabla player available to practice with me because I can't find a tabla track that plays with the same feel as in the song. Thanks again for the help!
tablafreak

Reply with quote  #6 
I think this is what you are looking for:

Dhete/Na na/Tete
Tete /Na na/Dhete

Reply with quote  #7 
Thanks for the suggestions. I've been told this may actually be Hemta taal? A 6 beat taal with accents on 1 and 5. Any info on that?
tablaguy

Reply with quote  #8 
Folks:

This is a very popular bengali song sung by Hemant Kumar (Hemanta Mukherjee). This song used be very popular in the late sixties and early seventies, popularized later by Conrad Rooks in his movie "Siddhartha". Taal is dadra played in double speed. Nothing fancy about it. Dhun is played well on the Sitar.

TG
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.